How do I keep a 13 x 9" cake from humping up in the middle | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do I keep a 13 x 9" cake from humping up in the middle

Last post Dec 23, 2011 11:08 AM by shelleyjCA2AZ . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • How do I keep a 13 x 9" cake from humping up in the middle

I baked a cake this mornign and it really humped up in the middle.  I dropped the pan on the counter a few times to get rid of any air bubbles so I assumed that would level  everything out.  What can I do to prevent this?

False
  • Re: How do I keep a 13 x 9" cake from humping up in the middle

Might you perhaps have used too much baking powder in the recipe?  I know that's often the cause of pointy (rather than rounded) muffins.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

Because the outer edges of the cake bake first, the center has time to rise more before it's done, causing the characteristic hump in the center. Decreasing the oven temperature by 25 degrees helps, but the best thing to do is use those insulated cake pan strips. If you don't have them, take an old towel, cut it into strips, wide enough that you can fold the long side in half (or thirds) so that you have 2 or 3 layers of material. Soak the material in cold water and ring it out. Then wrap it all the way around the cake pan and fasten with a pin or metal (not plastic coated) paper clip. then bake cake as usual. I used an old cut up towel for years before I finally bought the strips at Michaels.

False

What works for me (if your batter is thick enough)...

Use a spoon or spatula to push some of the batter from the middle over to the sides of the pan.  The center is then lower and will even out when baked.

False

I tried everything to stop even round layer cakes from doming and nothing worked so I ordered, and just got these... https://www.magi-cake.com/   I haven't used them yet but I have read many testimonials that they work really well.

False

Limey those are the insulated cake strips I was talking about. I've got 2 sets of each size. I use them on round, square and rectangular pans and they work great. But as I said, if you've got an old towel to sacrifice, it works just as well.

False

All good suggestions.  Did I miss this - are you baking a scratch cake or a mix cake?  If using a cake mix try this recipe - I almost never get a "hump" in the middle.

WASC Cake – Basic (White Almond Sour Cream Cake)

(The original recipe was for a white cake – but it works with any flavor.  This is a great cake for decorating also as it bakes so evenly – very little rounding on the top)

1 box cake mix (any flavor)

1 cup flour

1 cup sugar

Dash of salt

1 cup sour cream (not lite or fat free)

1 cup water

3 whole eggs

1 tbsp. flavoring or extract.

Stir dry ingredients together.  Beat sour cream, eggs, water and extract.  Add dry ingredients to sour cream mixture and beat 1 minute on low speed of electric mixer.  Increase speed to medium high and beat 2 full minutes.  This makes batter the equivalent of 1 and 1/2 cake mixes.  Put into floured and greased (or sprayed) pans.  Bake at 350º.  8 inch layers bake about 30+ minutes.  Cool 10 minutes and then remove from pans.  This cake bakes evenly – you rarely get the “hump” in the middle.

False

i bake  for a living & I bake cake for 400 every week. your batter is not level in your pan. use your spatula & level it out side to side, then end to end. then tap your pan onto the counter.....it levels it  and  gets some of the little air bubbles to come to the top.  

False

Thanks for the info, I'm trying that right now.

False

Which one are you trying?  Jan's response is exactly right :)

False

PAgrandma

What works for me (if your batter is thick enough)...

Use a spoon or spatula to push some of the batter from the middle over to the sides of the pan.  The center is then lower and will even out when baked.

When I took cake decorating years ago...they told us, especially for a chocolate cake, to put the batter in the pan(s) them make an "X" in the batter thereby displacing some of the batter from the middle -- works for me!

False

♀♀ = Love

♂♂ = Love

♀♂ = Love

A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others. -the movie Barnyard

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived!

Click for Milwaukee, Wisconsin Forecast

I do this and hate it. I let the cake cool after baking. I shave the top off and then turn it upside down to ice.  I love the answers other gave and printing it off. Good luck.

False

I cut up an old towel and used as insulating strips around the cake pan.  I also moved my oven rack to the middle position and cut the temp by 10º even though it was a light colored pan.  It was a chocolate cake. These are all good suggestions I'll try for next cake.

False

"Which one are you trying?  Jan's response is exactly right :) "

Sorry...when I said Jan was exactly right, I meant Footsie!  My bad....try it, it works!

False

don't have a good idea for that...but I found that LOTS of frosting in the corners made it all right....LOL

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!