Bumper crop of apples expected... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Bumper crop of apples expected...

Last post Jul 26, 2012 3:14 PM by Catmint_WV_49F . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Bumper crop of apples expected...

I will be freezing sliced apples.  They're not very big and would take long days to manually peel and slice them.  Does any have a great chopper/slicer they can recommend?

I would be greatly appreciative.

False
  • Re: Bumper crop of apples expected...

I'd be saucing them.  No need to peel & saves oodles of time compared to peeling/slicing smaller apples.  BTDT in yrs. past!  If peeling is optional, then skip & use a food processor with a slicer attachment to quickly do them up.

Our trees seem to be on the every other yr. heavy production cycle & sauce keeps well.  In fact some yrs. hail has pretty much ruined the apples so I usually do up 2 yrs. worth just in case. 

ETA: Juice is another quick way to use apples.

False

I have an apple peeler, corer, slicer from Pampered Chef is great depending on what type of slices you want.  I use it to make apple pie and apple crisp.

I found one on Amazon

peeler

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Thanks so much for the suggestion.  I'll have to look at Pampered Chef.  Pepmint, we had a big crop from our one tree last year, too.  It took me by surprise.  I thought I would plan ahead this year.

False

The one I posted from Amazon is about $17, the Pampered Chef one will set you back a bit more.  I don't see any major differences between them.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I can't wait to see how our Honey Crisp does next year, or, does it take a few years? I'm sure it won't be big enough next year.   We have one apple tree on the point in our pasture, but, I didn't see manyon it the last time I checked. The deer get them quickly.

There is one other apple tree in the field above the barn, but, the apples aren't that good. I thought it was a Crab apple, but, DH said you could eat them if you wanted. I know my horse will eat forever if I let her . Hard not to, though.

False

catmint