Bumper crop of apples expected... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Bumper crop of apples expected...

Last post Jul 26, 2012 3:14 PM by Catmint_WV_49F . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Bumper crop of apples expected...

I will be freezing sliced apples.  They're not very big and would take long days to manually peel and slice them.  Does any have a great chopper/slicer they can recommend?

I would be greatly appreciative.

False
  • Re: Bumper crop of apples expected...

I'd be saucing them.  No need to peel & saves oodles of time compared to peeling/slicing smaller apples.  BTDT in yrs. past!  If peeling is optional, then skip & use a food processor with a slicer attachment to quickly do them up.

Our trees seem to be on the every other yr. heavy production cycle & sauce keeps well.  In fact some yrs. hail has pretty much ruined the apples so I usually do up 2 yrs. worth just in case. 

ETA: Juice is another quick way to use apples.

False

I have an apple peeler, corer, slicer from Pampered Chef is great depending on what type of slices you want.  I use it to make apple pie and apple crisp.

I found one on Amazon

peeler

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Thanks so much for the suggestion.  I'll have to look at Pampered Chef.  Pepmint, we had a big crop from our one tree last year, too.  It took me by surprise.  I thought I would plan ahead this year.

False

The one I posted from Amazon is about $17, the Pampered Chef one will set you back a bit more.  I don't see any major differences between them.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I can't wait to see how our Honey Crisp does next year, or, does it take a few years? I'm sure it won't be big enough next year.   We have one apple tree on the point in our pasture, but, I didn't see manyon it the last time I checked. The deer get them quickly.

There is one other apple tree in the field above the barn, but, the apples aren't that good. I thought it was a Crab apple, but, DH said you could eat them if you wanted. I know my horse will eat forever if I let her . Hard not to, though.

False

catmint