Forgot to put the eggs away--help! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Forgot to put the eggs away--help!

Last post Aug 27, 2012 8:14 AM by lilmouthy . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Forgot to put the eggs away--help!

I came home from the store so very proud of how I came in at $14.00 under our newly set budget, then a little while ago I noticed that a bag containing a dozen eggs was never unpacked and put away!  I estimate their time from store fridge to my fridge to be about 5 hours.  Do you think they are okay?

Sure appreciate your thoughts!

False
  • Re: Forgot to put the eggs away--help!

Yes, they're fine.  Put them away now.

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

They should be fine.  If in doubt, the way I always tell if an egg is good or not is by submerging them in water.  If they float to the top they are bad. 

False
    Witty Whitney!

People kept eggs on the counter long before they had fridges and we're all still here. They're fine. I leave any eggs I'm going to be using in a recipe on the counter for hours before using them, something about being room temp seems to make them work better.

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World

Great trick, thanks!!!

False

Thanks for your advice all!  I feel okay about them now.  Would have disliked throwing them out!

False

Disgusting when we do things like that but I vote with the others....am sure they're fine.  We've all goofed in the past with food items we've forgotten and lived to tell about it.  I'm OVERLY CAUTIOUS about refrigerating stuff and I wouldn't be afraid for just that length of time.  I can remember my mom leaving a piece or two of fried chicken on the stovetop from a noon meal that she'd eat that evening as a snack or even the next morning and never got sick.  I certainly wouldn't do that.  Also, I can remember people NEVER refrigerating butter, but leaving it on the table from one meal to the next.....NASTY, NASTY !!  My family never did that as we ALWAYS had refrigerators or in my grandparent's case, an icebox.

False

Marilyn

we gather our eggs in the evening so they have been in the coop all day.

Also I leave butter out all day as I hate trying to spread hard butter.    Done it for years, never hurt anything....

False

Years ago when I lived in San Diego, the supermarket I shopped at never refrigerated the eggs!  They were on a wire rack near the dairy section.   Eggs do not spoil easily.   And I've even used eggs that weren't very fresh and they were okay.

As for butter, once it is taken out of the fridge and put on a plate, it is not put back in the fridge again.  It stays out till it is used up.  Butter does not turn rancid in a day or two.  Or three.

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

Oh yeah, I can remember my best friend's mom leaving her giant tub of butter in the cupboard--all the time!  Never ever refrigerated it.  I always thought it was strange, but they never seemed to suffer. 

The point about the eggs staying in the coop all day lends even more comfort to leaving them out for a few hours.  Glad I didn't automatically throw them out as I am so likely to do in such situations.  I am PARANOID about food poisoning, having experienced it I never EVER want to go through that again!  However it is sickening to just throw food out like that. 

False

I leave butter out.  

The eggs will be fine.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

I know you've already gotten your answer, but just wanted to add...even if it had been days that they were left on your counter, they would still be good.  As long as your house just isn't like 90-100 hot!

Really, people who have chickens and get too many eggs to fit in their fridge, will leave eggs on the counter for days, even a bit more than a week at a time.

Like Adria said..lots of bakers will leave their eggs out for hours before baking them.   I always say I'm going to do that...but then when i go to bake with them, I then remember I never took them out of the fridge!  LOL

False

At least you didn't drop any on the floor like I did last week. 3 eggs splat right onto the floor. What a slimy mess. Ugh......

I agree with the others.

False

MountainMan

At least you didn't drop any on the floor like I did last week. 3 eggs splat right onto the floor. What a slimy mess. Ugh......

Oh no!!   That's one mess I always hate!!  Every time you try and scoop some up, it slides down off the towel.  Yuck!

False