Need easy to swallow recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need easy to swallow recipes

Last post Sep 14, 2012 12:40 AM by gr_elo . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Need easy to swallow recipes

Hi!  Haven't been here in a long while.  I'm going to be taking care of my best friend starting this Saturday.  She can not swallow anything that is not soft.  I want her to be able to enjoy the meals I prepare - and I need easy to prepare meals.   Would you be willing to share your recipe ideas with me?   Thanking you in advance!  Love, Bobbi

False
  • Re: Need easy to swallow recipes

Hi Bobbi ~ You're a great friend for helping her out like this!

You could make a very wet meatloaf, like the Lil Cheddar Loaves (I'll search for recipe and post it).  With mashed potatoes, that would be very comforting, filling and soft.

Of course, there's all kinds of shakes and smoothies you can make with yogurt, fresh or frozen fruit, and you can buy protein powder to mix in those for added nutrition.

Lots of soups, even if they have anything chunky in them, can be pureed.  I have a great cream of broc and cauliflower soup that I'll try to post for you.  Very, very easy, and so good, and it calls to be pureed.  You could also puree bean soups.  They'll be thicker, but she should be able to swallow those.  You could even do chicken and dumplings, and cut the chicken very, very small.  Either strain out the veggies for her or puree those as well, and put back in the broth with the soft dumplings.

I hope this is a good starting point.  I'll look up those other recipes and post them for you.

Amy

False

Macaroni & cheese, rice pudding, tapioca,  mashed potatoes, creamed soups, plain jello with a little whipped cream, scrambled eggs or soft boiled eggs.  Milk toast is good too - toast a piece of bread, butter it, sprinkle on a little cinnamon & sugar, cover with warm milk. 

False

Bless you for taking care of your friend in her time of need. More people need to be a good Samaritan to people in need.

I wonder with your post...what is the medical reason your friend needs soft food? Reason I am curious is, depending on the medical condition can even define more the reason for soft food. There are different levels of soft food for someone medically. Most people don't realize this. But it is true, when you work medically you understand this criteria. Some people have to have foods pureed when meaning soft food. Some need foods that will go down easier because of lack of a  regular gag reflex.  Or the person has had a medical treatment done that inables them to digest properly or chew things or swallow food properly. Some people need foods that are without spice and will not make a secretion of build up of flem when the food is digested  as they are eating it or after  they swallow. There are different levels when you say soft food depending the medical reasoning for soft food.

As for preparing ahead, the only thing that comes to my mind is jello, pudding, liquid soups, yogurt, creamed cereal even baby cereal can be feed. One may not think of baby food. But you can puree food fine. It may not look appetizing. But the reality is it's still food and someone on soft food can eat it. You can buy baby food to have a person eat if they have a soft food diet. The soups and pudding though you need to watch if there is chance your friend cannot digest milk products right because of flem build up that develops which you have in foods containing milk  products.  

False

Here is the broccoli, cheddar, cauliflower soup I've made for years:

4 C. chicken or vegetable broth
    1/2 or whole onion
    10 oz. frozen broccoli
    10 oz. frozen cauliflower
    1 sm. potato, diced
    4 oz. cheddar (I always use more and I use sharp to get more flavor)
    1/2 c. milk
    Salt and pepper

Bring broth, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, and potato to a boil in a 4 quart saucepan. Reduce heat, cook covered, 10 minutes.

Remove 1 cup plus broccoli and cauliflower pieces, set aside. Cook soup 10 minutes longer. Chop cheese into blender, add milk. Ladle in a small amount of vegetable broth. Puree until very smooth. Pour into large bowl and continue to puree broth until done. **I have a stick blender and puree it in the pan.  Be careful if you're using a regular blender, because pureeing hot food can be explosive!

Return pureed soup to pan with reserved vegetables and heat through, but do not boil or cheese will curdle. Add salt and pepper to taste.

False

Not a culinary delight but when my brother had his jaw wired shut, my mother crushed ramen and he sipped it through a straw.

False

Rebecca

When my  late MIL   had ALS, later she couldn't swallow well.  When I made vegetable soup, I'd make her a special pot, where I mashed some of the veggies, didn't put corn in it, made it easier for her to swallow. But, then later she couldn't even swallow that, of course.

Then I let my SILs' use my juicer to make her things that she could eat.  Plus the ensures, smoothies, etc, that she could drink.  It's a sad thing.

False

catmint

Try an online search of modified consistency diet/food prep.  

False

Bobbi,

When we cared for my MIL who had had a stroke, she had trouble swallowing. We found that she really liked the flavors of regular foods, but couldn't do the swallowing without choking.  We ended up grinding a lot of her foods, but she really enjoyed the mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, soups and stews.  It is hard to get the proteins in sometimes and we ended up adding Ensure twice a day.

False

What I did when I had my last 7 front teeth pilled:

BLEND, BLEND, BLEND.

I mde creamn of vegetable soup, cream of chicjken soup, crem, of Beef soup, the whole ball of wax.

Blended fruit and milk, or just fruit. Vooked cereals for breakfast like cream of wheat, creamn of rice, soft fruit withy it. If it isd fo0r a short time onlpy your friend will not mind eatinmg BABY FOOD withy a bit more floavor.

False