This is why shipping/postage is so high... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

This is why shipping/postage is so high...

Last post Oct 21, 2012 1:02 PM by JoBlank_CO . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • This is why shipping/postage is so high...

I ordered a few things from Amazon.com, standard delivery. According to the tracking information, delivery date is Tues. Oct. 23, destination Blakely, Ga. So far so good.

Here's where it gets "interesting":

October 14, 2012 11:13:12 PM Coffeyville KS US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier
    October 16, 2012 02:55:00 PM Fedex Smartpost Dallas TX US Arrival Scan
    October 17, 2012 03:26:00 AM Fedex Smartpost Dallas TX US In transit to pickup location
    October 17, 2012 03:26:18 AM Fedex Smartpost Dallas TX US Departure Scan 
    October 18, 2012 11:34:00 AM Fedex Smartpost Atlanta GA US Arrival Scan 
    October 18, 2012 05:49:00 PM Fedex Smartpost Atlanta GA US In transit to pickup location
    October 18, 2012 05:49:45 PM Fedex Smartpost Atlanta GA US Departure Scan
    October 19, 2012 11:58:00 AM Blakely GA US Arrival Scan

Yay! It's in Blakely, it's going to be delivered earlier than expected!  Or so you think......

October 20, 2012 01:03:00 AM Ellenwood GA US Arrival Scan   (Ellenwood GA??? Where's that? And when did it leave Blakely? More importanly WHY did it leave Blakely?)

October 20, 2012 02:04:00 AM Ellenwood GA US In transit to pickup location
    October 20, 2012 02:04:21 AM Ellenwood GA US Departure Scan
    October 20, 2012 07:01:00 AM Dothan AL US Departure Scan

Dothan??? This should be interesting. Dothan mail used to go to Panama City, FL, then Montgomery, AL and then back to Dothan for delivery. If I'm lucky, my package will simply go from Dothan BACK to Blakely for delivery without any additional side trips. Now I know why they said Tues. Oct. 23. My book is on it's own book tour! LOL!

False

• Re: This is why shipping/postage is so high...

Indifferent

Wow!

False

catmint

AND they think that raising the postage stamps by .5 is going to help.  !!  Not gonna happen.  This will make people like me send even LESS of anything !   Especially packages.   First thing they can do is STOP the Saturday mail.   I noticed they are not going to do this til after Christmas.  I like many other people have either cut way back on my card list or stopped completely.   I went from sending 25 to 15.  Next year it will be LESS.  Plus I will start paying all my INS pmts on line along with my bills.

Your book sure took the scenic route and had to laugh about the book tour.  LOL

Cassie

False

Barbara Anne

Cassiebabe_Calif
    I like many other people have either cut way back on my card list or stopped completely.   I went from sending 25 to 15.  Next year it will be LESS. 

Not me!  Sending Christmas Cards has always been something I do.  If I have you address, you get a card.  And on top of that I hate naked cards --- where folks just sign their name.  I always write a note in my cards, as I have something to say to all.  I generally start getting them ready around the first week in November.

That is a tradition I have always kept.

Yeah, Footsie, if we mail a letter to someone here in our town, it has to go to New Orleans and then return to our town to be delivered.  I just wonder who thought that made any sense? 

False
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Same here Beeje.  If I mail a letter here in my little post office to be delivered here where I live,  it has to go out all the way to the main Post Office in Oakland, Calif and back again which is about 35 miles.  STUPID !!!!!.

The USPS is in very serious trouble and I don't ever see them ever getting out of it.  I will send out probably 10 cards BUT only to people who live out of state and I never see along with a nice note in it.  Everybody else will get a phone call or e-mail card............At one time I sent out about 50 years ago.  I have an Aunt who used to mail out over a 100 and now none.

Cassie

False

Barbara Anne

I do so love this annual rant about postage and how the ever-lowering number of Christmas cards being sent out is all the fault of the Postal Service.   It is now officially Christmas Season!!!  Deck the Halls!!!!

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

Yeah, it was the same way when I lived in Satsuma. The post office was across the street from city hall. They literally walked the water bills over to the post office. 10 days later it showed up in my mail box. I didn't trust the post office to get it back to city hall before the due date, I always drove over there to pay it LOL!

False

Shipping and handling costs I usually gripe about, but not the cost of a stamp. I couldnt deliver a card across town to my brother for 40 cents (or whatever it is), so it doesn't bother me too much. Christmas cards I do cut back on most every year, but only because as time goes on the list of those I care to keep in touch with gets shorter.
    False

I wish the price was less, but it is nothing compared to the rising costs of everything else. At least they just raise it a penny or two. Grocery items are jumping huge amounts.

I can't blame the post office. Both of my neighbors are postal delivery people. I cannot imagine what they go through everyday walking in our weather to get us the mail. This summer I tried to stop our mail lady to come into the house because a storm was coming and she said, no I need to keep going to get everyone their mail. WOW, total commitment when you live in parts of the country that they may be delivering rain or shine, 105, -30.

Christmas comes once a year. Cheers!!!

False
     Photobucket

coacheswife
    I can't blame the post office. Both of my neighbors are postal delivery people. I cannot imagine what they go through everyday walking in our weather to get us the mail. This summer I tried to stop our mail lady to come into the house because a storm was coming and she said, no I need to keep going to get everyone their mail.

Yes, wow. However our mail carrier doesn't have that dedication to job. It's more like that mail carrier's on the Chevy Chase movie, I think it was Christmas vacation, one where they went to the country and the mail carrier came flying by (if you have a dog better get it out of the way) and threw the mail at them.

False

I love the USPS.

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

whiteflower_pa

I love the USPS.

Yes

False