Emergency 45-Day Candle from Pinterest | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Emergency 45-Day Candle from Pinterest

Last post Oct 24, 2012 1:16 PM by Peanut5710_va . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Emergency 45-Day Candle from Pinterest

According to Kara Coates, if you just insert a string in a can of Crisco or similar shortening you'll have a candle that burns for up to 45 days in an emergency situation.

False

Marilyn

• Re: Emergency 45-Day Candle from Pinterest

Really makes you wonder when you bake with it.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I'm pretty sure I have enough candles to burn for a year.  No sense in wasting perfectly good Crisco.  LOL!

False

I'm at a loss to imagine a 45-day emergency which would be healed by a flaming can of grease!

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

Lady Fingers

I'm at a loss to imagine a 45-day emergency which would be healed by a flaming can of grease!

Big Smile  Thank you for the laugh!  All my emergencies will now be put into can be healed by a flaming can of grease or cannot be healed by a flaming can of grease columns!  That aside though, it is interesting and the way we lose power on a regular basis around here it might not be a bad idea to keep a can of Crisco and some string with our other emergency supplies.

False

I saw on some home show, either martha stewart or home matters, that if you take a can like a vegetable can and roll up some corrugated cardboard and fit into the can and then pour in melted crisco you can burn that pretty well for emergencies. I hardly ever have shortening tho.

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World

In my Girl Scout days....we'd roll up corrugated cardboard & insert it in a small, short coffee can (made them about 60 years ago) & think we poured melted paraffin in them....been so many years, can't remember but it was a way to make a homemade 'burner' to heat stuff up....not a candle.

False

Well, that's just a fine idea.

Now you show me, exactly how does one insert a string into a can of Crisco? 

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

I don't use candles for emergency light.  I've gone to LED lights.  Much safer.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

Run the strinmg throuh a raw potato before inserting i9nto the grease and your house will smell like  French Fries............

False

cast_iron_king

Well, that's just a fine idea.

Now you show me, exactly how does one insert a string into a can of Crisco? 

I wondered the same thing.

False
    I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today - Wimpy

gr_elo
    Run the strinmg throuh a raw potato before inserting i9nto the grease and your house will smell like  French Fries.........

Yes! I love it!  LOL!!!!!

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

Cut a cotton peice of string about an inch longer then the height of your can.  Make a knot in the end of the string.  Straighten out a wire coat hanger and put the knot on the end of the coat hanger and push it down through the Shortening.  Once at the bottom just pull the coat hanger out.  Trim string a bit and light.

False
    License

Lady Fingers

I'm sure the folks down in Louisiana that didn't evacuate but didn't have power for weeks would have been glad to have this on hand.

Of course not the entire can flaming.  Confused

False
    License