Gift Cards | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Gift Cards

Last post Nov 16, 2012 12:44 PM by foodguy . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • Gift Cards

Please think of the person needs and wants when buying a gift card for them to use as a gift.

My heart goes out to a family.

A family member recieved from a friend, a Thanksgiving card with a gift card to one of the two most expensive grocery stores in their town. They were touched by the thoughtful gift. For they are going through a really bad time in their life. When they called the friend to thank them. The friend said in conversation the gift card was to be used for everything they needed in purchasing everything  for a Thanksgiving meal. The gift card will not cover everything. Just two blocks down from the expensive grocery store is a nice Save A Lot. The family member shops there more then any place. They have told their friend this in previous conversations. The  family member had not planned on fixing a Thanksgiving meal do to some things they are going through. The gift card was intended for things purchased for a Thanksgiving meal. The family member  looked on line at the weekly flyers at things on sale for a Thanksgiving meal at the different grocery stores. The Save a Lot had the greatest sale. If the gift card would have been for Save A Lot, they would have been able to buy everything they would have needed and then some for a Thanksgiving meal at the nice Save A Lot.  They are very appreciative of the thoughtful gift card. But they will still not be able to buy everything they need if they want to fix a traditional meal. They will use the card just for a few things they need food wise in their household. For they have no extra money to go just shopping at Save A Lot for the other things needed not covered by the gift card at the expensive store. They are very appreciative of the thoughtfulness of the gift card. It will help with their basic necessities. Which will out way any traditional meal. They have always taught their family Thanksgiving is just a time together. No matter what the meal is on the table. Even if it was a bowl of soup. They would be thankful.

Think when you buy a gift card, if you intend it for a certain reason for the person to be able to  use it. Think what bargains they will be able to find with the gift card to spend on themselves or family.

False
  • Re: Gift Cards

Why doesn't your family member shop at both stores? Save the most expensive items to be purchased with the gift card. There's absolutely no reason for the family to do without any of their traditional dishes as they now have extra money. Or am I not following your train of thought here?

False

I don't know.  I think it's kinda cheeky to give someone a gift card and then stipulate what they're supposed to buy with it.  What's the point of that?

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

yep...to both replies...

False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

What a nice thing to do, give a gift card to someone who is struggling.  Whether or not she can get "everything" for the meal is really not important.  And, if she feels she still doesn't want to do the big meal thing, she doesn't have to.

I find it unfortunate that a recipient of a gift would complain about it.

False

May you never forget to remember what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.                                                                                         

yep and yep, and...they can say thank you for your kindness and then buy what they want...they don't have to send the receipt and prove anything.

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast

CIK, perhaps it was kindly meant, as in, "We'd like to help you with Thanksgiving expenses", rather than stipulating.

I, too, don't understand why anyone would be upset that the gift card would not cover the entire meal or that it's for a store where they don't normally shop. I think I'd be grateful for the opportunity to now have a more traditional dinner thanks to a friend's generosity, if that's what they want.  But, to each his own.

False

I have to agree that the recipient was less than appreciative to complain about the gift.  The donor of the gift card probably wanted the recipient to have something really nice from the upgrade store, yet the recipient would prefer something else.  What the heck - use the card and buy a treat that you normally wouldn't have been able to afford, then go to xyz store and get what you normally do!  Whatever!!!

False

whiteflower_pa

I agree.
    False

I guess I'm reading this post different than Y'all.  I read it like this..the person stated that they wanted them to use the gift card at that store, to only buy stuff for a Thanksgiving meal.  The person that got the card, looked, and the amount of the card will not cover what all is needed for a Thanksgiving meal...and they have no extra $$ to put with it, to finish buying the stuff to make a meal.  They knew they didn't have $$ for a Thanksgiving meal, and had already decided it was not in their budget to have a big meal.  They want to spend the Gift Card, like the giver asked them to...but it was not enough on the card to get a whole meal, because the store is too pricey.

I personally didn't take it like they were complaining over the Gift Card...just more or less, wish the giver wouldn't have said...to be spent only on a Big Thanksgiving meal.

Although I try to NEVER lie, I also try to never hurt someones feelings..so I might would just spend the gift card on things that I really needed...maybe things that could be stretched out, since they are already strapped for cash..then tell the giver of the card, how much it helped them, and how happy they were to get it.  That way, you are not lying, nor are you hurting their feelings.

False

whiteflower_pa

What a nice thing to do, give a gift card to someone who is struggling.  Whether or not she can get "everything" for the meal is really not important.  And, if she feels she still doesn't want to do the big meal thing, she doesn't have to.

Ditto from me. 

Whatever the amount of the card is...it's that much less they'll have to spend to buy what they need.  I wouldn't complain either, sure it would have been nice had the card been issued through a lower priced store...but again...it's that much less from their total cost. 

I'm guessing the friend was thinking they'd like to help.  So why are they complaining exactly????

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

Some of you are not reading this post right!

This couple does not have any extra money.

The card was given so they could buy food for a Thanksgiving meal.

However, the card is not big enough to buy all of the things needed for a meal.  And they do not have enough money to buy the rest of the food at another store for the meal.    If the card had been for the cheaper store, it would have covered the food needed.

So now the couple will just buy some things they normally would buy for their household. 

They are very grateful for the gift.   She said this several times.

False
    1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

Cool.

False

DO NOT REGRET GROWING OLDER.

IT'S A PRIVILEGE DENIED TO MANY.

I hope they can enjoy the card and the food.

False

they could easily sell the gift card & then shop at the cheaper store & still have a grateful, & happy thanksgiving.

Cali

False