Are you baking for the holidays yet? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Are you baking for the holidays yet?

Last post Nov 17, 2012 9:26 AM by beachgirlAZ . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Are you baking for the holidays yet?

I can't believe next week is Thanksgiving.

I guess I will let the bread machine mix some bread  and then I will  turn them into rolls, and cinnamon rolls and freeze them.

I know it's time to make a batch of sand tarts. But that is more work then I want today.

I want to make a batch of divinity. Cookies are usually made and frozen to pass out cookie trays to family members over Thanksgiving week. But that didn't happen this year. I think the divinity will take place of cookie trays to friends and family this year.

I keep wanting to make a pumpkin roll. But wanting and doing are two different concepts right now.

Are you making and baking anything for the holidays?

False
  • Re: Are you baking for the holidays yet?

No

False

My best friend's daughter likes to make candy --- so I ordered a tray of mixed chocolates.  Does that count?  I do not bake.  

My Mom used to make divinity.  Hadn't heard anyone mention it in years.  

False
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

I never bake for the holidays. That's my mom's department. 

However, this year for Thanksgiving, I am making a few batches of her grandmother's homemade bread. It is SO good. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

False

I dont start my holiday/Christmas baking until after Thanksgiving.  Just like I dont start my holiday decorating until after that too!  

False
    Witty Whitney!

I am not much for freezing my baked goods.

I will start baking closer to the Holidays .

Homemade Dinner rolls/Cinnamon Buns  I make  the day or evening  before .

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I will start some the weekend of Thanksgiving since our granddaughter will be here and she and I like to bake.  All I know is that somehow I will have it done by Dec. 16 which is my cookie exchange.  Funny, the mention of divinity.  I just mentioned to DH that I thought I'd give it a try this year.  That was always my late aunt's speciality.

False

A woman is like a teabag. You don't know her strength until she is in hot water.

I never bake for the holidays. My family members are used to it.

False

Nowadays I just let the professionals do the baking for me.

False

Angel biscuits are the only thing I will be baking.  Someone else is bringing pies.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

buckeyenut... if you have never made divinty before. Make certain there is no moisture in the air when you make it. It is a great candy treat. But can be tempermental for some reason if  the weather has snow or rain.

False

Well, if planning what I want to make and then making sure I have all the ingredients for my holiday baking... then I've gotten started!! Big Smile  For Thanksgiving, I am making pumpkin pies, a pumpkin roll and maybe a lemon roll.  Then before Christmas, I will continue the tradition that my mom started and make decorated sugar cookies... I found some really neat new "sprinkle" stuff in the grocery store yesterday!!  So I got them!!  I also finally found the large cupcake papers yesterday - so I might come up with some zucchini muffins and or bread!!

False

For the most part, I am unable to bake these days due to the rheumatoid arthritis..  Rather than be all depressed about the loss of this ability, I've decided that whatever I can find in a pouch or the freezer section of a supermarket will do just fine. If the boys want  "real" treats, I will happily supervise them in the kitchen.  I don't really have issues with measuring or mixing, but the entire process and time involved exhausts me completely, so those things which are not necessities have been gradually removed from our lives. We don't miss them... At least, the boys say they don't.

A few weeks ago, I baked my first ever boxed cake from a Duncan Hines mix. The cake was a dark fudge flavor, and to make it special the icing was homemade.  There was difficulty in adding milk, so a little too much went in. I burst into tears, at which point my oldest asked why I continue to put myself through this...  The frosting was fine once I poured out the excess milk.  I wasn't crying over the frosting, I was crying over yet another part of my life lost. But we don't dwell...

I have decided to make candy. Probably every single bit will be something which is dipped in  chocolate, and I'm sure we'll all tire of this, but if that is what I can contribute, then that is what I do. I have not yet started making anything, but some possibilities have crossed my mind. I will be shopping for groceries today and intend to pick up the necessary supplies. 

False

I do my baking in December.  For Thanksgiving I will make pumpkin pies.  I am going to a baking exchange in December with my former neighbors...I am taking my Mom and we are really looking forward to going!  There will be around 8-10 of us...we are including our now grown daughters and some granddaughters too...little boys are welcome as well.  We have known each other for 26 years.  We have moved from our old neighborhood but still remain close! I will take caramel corn and will also demo a batch for those who want to learn how to make it.  One lady will demo pumpkin rolls and we will all make cheese straws. Good times!

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast