So different, yet so good! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

So different, yet so good!

Last post Dec 27, 2012 8:46 PM by mrsmarkdave . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • So different, yet so good!

Christmas that is!  Last year was very hard, the first christmas after my dad died.  This Christmas my sister and her family were planning on going to be with his family, and my brother didn't get any extra time off over Christmas.  So my mom went to spend a week with my brother and his family, but my sister didn't end up with any time off to travel, so that got cancelled.   DH's parents went up north for Christmas.  So it was just me and my sister and families left alone.  So what do we do?  Well, tradition says big turkey dinner with all the trimmings.  But let's face it, this Chrsitmas is completly different. So we did somthing new, and boy oh boy, did we have a great Christmas!  First DH and our kids we had a quiet morning at home, I made waffles for breakfast after the presents were opened.  Watched a bit of tv, helped DS put his Lego together, ect.  I talked to my brother for along time on the phone, and then my mom.  Then around 3 we went to my sisters house.  The kids took their little Ski Doo out for some rides, played board games, and what was for dinner?  Why Pizza, chicken wings and Salad!  We also went hot tubing, DS had so much fun running around in the snow after jumping out of the hot tub.  Oh, it was a great new Christmas!

Did you do anything bizzare or different this year?

False
  • Re: So different, yet so good!

My son and his family in another town, did dungeness crabs and veggies, steamed.  they were just tired of the 'norm'.

False

“Always ask questions.  It’s more important to stay interested than to be interesting.”  Jane Fonda 

We had to do the "World Tour" as I call it-Christmas Eve with DH's family and Christmas Day with my family.  DH's family is bizarre to begin with.  LOL  

We went to his Aunts house and had ham sandwiches and pizza and then traditional sides like sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, salads, rolls etc.  I found that odd.  Dont get me wrong it was good just odd to have pizza and ham sandwiches on good china.  LOL  

Then we stayed over night at my Moms so we woke up Christmas Day there.  She was supposed to make breakfast (she never did when I was a child, it was always my Dad so I was looking forward to it) but she slept in late!  LOL  Typical Mom.  :-)  We went to my Aunts for dinner.  She always puts on a spread and it was no different.  TONS of apps, then beef tenderloin, ham and turkey and every side imaginable.  Then for dessert TONS of cookies and her famous Cannolli Cake.  I still havent recovered!  LOL

False
    Witty Whitney!

Good for you Char!  I know you were concerned with how your Christmas would be...turns out, plan B was a hit!

False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast

whine and cheesed.  Sounds like an interesting few days!  That's what stories are made from!  Funny about your mother sleeping in.  If you were young, you would have just jumped on her bed to wake her up, just like my kids did to DH and me Christmas morning!

Yup, I was concerned, but it all went so good, even my mom said we should do this more often to extend the holidays!  I almost think she was jelouse of our pizza!  Though I know she will have had an absolutly wonderful time with my DB and his family, who live in Alberta!

False

char3bc

Did you do anything bizzare or different this year?

Different. My parents stirred up the dynamics by moving to Pennsylvania (we're in Iowa). My family expects EVERYONE to be at EVERY event. There is no sharing. Like, there is no way they would accept it if I wanted to spend Christmas with DH's family (not that it would stop me). 
    Originally, my parents weren't going to be here for Christmas. So, I planned to spend it with my brother. Then my parents changed their minds, but I refused to change my plans. That didn't go over well with my mom's family (who I have always spent Christmas with...every year except one in all of my 35 years), but it was a great day anyway.
    False