How do I mail quick breads? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do I mail quick breads?

Last post Feb 10, 2013 9:22 PM by Adria_NyxxTX . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • How do I mail quick breads?

I am getting very prepared for next Christmas.  I have mentioned before that I will be making (during the year) quick breads.  This way, I will have plenty of time to 'tweak' them if necessary.

I just now, need to know how to ship/pkg up 5 loaves to be mailed out by regular postal service.  They will be going from NY to MN.  When I mail regular letters to MN, the average is 4 days.  I will also check with the post office on their delivery time for pkgs.  When I do mail them, do I need to put perishable on the pkg, or let the post office know that I am mailing breads?

I am going to make them as fresh as possible.  I know that quick breads can be frozen, but if I do freeze them, then ship them, what if the recipient freezes them also?  Will that ruin them getting frozen twice?  Should I NOT freeze them?

So far, I have made:

Snickerdoodle

Lemon Tea

Oatmeal Honey Wheat

Today I will be baking Cranberry Nut

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

• Re: How do I mail quick breads?

NY_Scooter
    I am getting very prepared for next Christmas.

Danged overachievers.

I would say, if you're baking the breads now, it would be in your best interest to freeze them, yes.  But really, things start to lose their goodness after about 6 months.  Slow down.

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

What CIK said about them losing goodness.

On shipping "Flat Rate Boxes" might be best.  They usually arrive in two days.

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

cast_iron_king
    Danged overachievers.

LOL

I think she's just testing the recipes right now, and will make more a little closer to Christmas. Wink 

I can't answer most of your questions, but I know the PO always asks me if what I'm mailing is liquid or fragile or perishable, so I'm sure they have a stamp for that. If they don't ask, definitely tell them. I really don't think re-freezing would be a problem for a quick bread, but I can't say I know that as a fact.

If you need my address come December, I'll be happy to PM it to you.......

False

Alaska_Prof
    On shipping "Flat Rate Boxes" might be best.  They usually arrive in two days.

I have to disagree. Unless you're mailing bricks or gold or something ridiculously heavy, I find that using your own box is a lot cheaper. I still use Priority mail, which is how the flat rate boxes go, but it costs less.

Editing to say maybe send one in a flat rate box and one in your own box, and see what the difference is. Then go with the cheapest for the rest.

Those flat-rate boxes have gotten smaller over the years, and the cheapest one (about $6, I think) is only about an inch tall. You may not be able to find one the right size/shape for a loaf of bread, anyway.

False

Ok, I need to clarify my post.  I am making the breads once in a while now to TEST how they come out.  My question about freezing them would be when I bake them sometime in November or December.  I am baking/testing/tasting them now to know if I need to tweak them.

False

Have you thought of making jar mixes, and sending to them and they can fix when they want to eat it.  Just curious.

False

"Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."

hello to speciall bffs on this talk show, I am Anij your good friend!  I am not talking always here because i am very busy all of the times with all of the sewing and also i am in school for two things they are the advance english for a second  languaje but better important is class for learning about the U.S.A. and i can become a citizen!  Yes that is very exiting for Anij and not very easy too so i am not able to make alot of talking with friends.  I am making a nice job now!  With very nice women named mrs Bekoff who she has a store to sell cloths to wealthy ladies in Pittsbrugh Pennsylvania wher I live so I am making money now and not have to pay for home because i am living with neece Shana and her hubusand they do not let me pay for room but i try all of the time.  Then I seen this question on this BB and i am happy to see it because i know i can help!  I used the United States Post Office to send curtains i make for brother of my hubusand all the way to California in San Francisco and it is very easy so i know you can do it too if Anij can do it!  First thing is to put your curtains in a box and put some pakaging in with it so the box does not crush at any time and second thing is to tape the box closed very tight with good taping not small like scoth tape but big like big scoth tape for mail.  Then you have to write the name of the person you sent the box to first line and on second line write the street address and on third line write the city where person lives and dont forget the numbers for the codezip.  Then the last thing is you have to take the box all ready to go and take it to the United States Post Office.  Sometimes you have to wait for a line but sometimes if you can go in early in morning it is better and when you get there all you have to do is ask how much money for sending this box and they will tell you how much so that is how much moeny you have to give them but it is ok if you dont have exactly what money they tell you because they can give you change.  And that is all and very easy.  Anij done it without any help and i know you too can do this!  If you have any problem just say a question for Anij and i will help you.

False

I have thought of the jar mixes.  I like to bake cakes/cookies, so I get more of a thrill this way than sending a mix.  My question really hasn't been answered yet.  I know I send them in boxes, whether it be flat rate, or my own.  I am wondering how I pack the breads in the box?  Should I wrap in plastic wrap first, then aluminum foil.  I don't know how they should be wrapped.  I have plenty of peanuts and shredded paper for stuffing the box.

False

From the website http://www.wahm.com/articles/how-to-mail-baked-goods-without-sacrificing-appearance.html

Quick breads and pound/fruit cakes travel well when baked and left in reusable aluminum pans and then wrapped in plastic wrap or foil. Tape or otherwise secure the wrapping over your baked goods to help them maintain freshness.

Use an Inner and Outer Box

The biggest secret to mailing baked goods successfully is to use two packages to ship:  an inner and an outer one. For cookies, you might first package the cookies in a tin. For cakes or muffins, you might choose a box. The key either way is to choose a container just slightly larger than the baked goods to reduce jostling when shipping. Fasten the inner package securely.

Then, choose a larger box to put the inner box into. The outer box should be enough larger than the inner box to allow at least an inch of space on each side. Fill this space with packing peanuts, crumpled newspaper or bubble wrap. This protective layer is vital to protecting your baked goods as they travel.

Get Ready to Ship

Tape your outer box securely and be sure your shipping and return addresses are clear and accurate. Label your package FRAGILE and PERISHABLE on each side, and mark THIS SIDE UP on the proper side.

Also consider the mail class you want to use. Priority mail usually arrives within two days.

False

I suggest wrapping them in plastic wrap really well and then either wadding up pages of the free paper at most grocery stores (like Thrifty Nickle or Penny Saver) and put a layer in the bottom of the box, then place in your bread/breads and put more wadded up paper between the bread and the side of the box, and then a layer of wadded up paper on top to fill up the box. Weighs very little and is free, but of course you could go with packaging peanuts or bubble wrap. The post office WILL ask about what you are sending and will mark the outside of the box with the appropriate stamp.

I suggest you mail early in December as the later you wait, the longer it will take to get there. I once mailed my brothers in California a box of goodies about two weeks into December and they didn't get it till almost New Year's.

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World