Snickerdoodle help needed | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Snickerdoodle help needed

Last post Apr 21, 2013 11:47 PM by MountainMan . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Snickerdoodle help needed

Last night I made a batch of Snickerdoodles and they came out as flat as CDs.   They tasted fine but I can't figure out why they were so flat.

I've used this recipe one time before and they were fine.

I checked the cream of tartar container and realized the exp date was Sept of 2012.  Do you suppose that was the cause?

False
  • Re: Snickerdoodle help needed

The cream of tartar is an acid which reacts with the baking soda to cause the "rising" action.  I just looked at my container from Penzey's and there was NO expiration date.  I'd be more inclined to think it was the soda that was, perhaps, too old.

False

Marilyn

Motorhomegal

I'd be more inclined to think it was the soda that was, perhaps, too old.

I just checked the baking soda and it expires Sept 2014....so probably not that.   Hmmm......

I double checked my recipe and I followed it exactly.  I thought perhaps I'd used too much butter or not enough flour.  They mixed up just fine and I rolled them into balls with no problems.

I'm going to buy more cream of tartar today and make another batch to see if they come out differently.  I'm sure my husband will be very upset about 2 dozen more of his favorite cookie in the house!

False

Yep, I'll just bet his shorts will be twisted having to eat MORE of them !  Big Smile

False

Marilyn

That happened to me one time.  It was because I didn't use the full amount of sugar called for in the recipe. They turned out flat and crispy but still tasted fine. 

False

Did you maybe use a different butter/margarine? One with more water content? That could also make your cookies flatten out.

False

I want to correct my post.  I left out a 1/2 cup of flour when that happened to me.  I didn't mean to say sugar.

False

Does your recipe call for butter or shortening or a combination of the 2?

False

siggie budgie-little green Duckling kissing heart  

Colossians 3:17, 23,24

CookingImpaired
    I'm sure my husband will be very upset about 2 dozen more of his favorite cookie in the house!

They are my husband's favorite cookies too.Smile

False

I am very curious to know how you can test cream of tartar for freshness.  I know how to test baking soda, baking powder and yeast.  Is there a test for cream of tartar?

False

Everything is okay in the end, if it's not okay, then it's not the end.

How to Test Cream of Tartar for Freshness
    By Jennifer Eblin, eHow Contributor

Test Cream of Tartar for Freshness
    Cream of tartar is frequently used in baking, and is also called for in some savory dishes. The product is used to stabilize egg whites and give them more volume. It's often mixed with baking soda or baking powder and it's possible to use one or the other and still give the final product the right taste. Cream of tartar typically doesn't go bad, but you can still test it for freshness.

Instructions
    1 Check the expiration date on the jar. Older jars and canisters may not have an expiration date.

2 Open the container and examine the contents. The contents should look dry and powdery. If you see any clumps, it indicates that the cream of tartar may have taken on some water or other liquid.

3 Look at the color of the cream of tartar. This powder should appear clean and pure white, with no yellow or dark spots. If you see any dark spots, your cream of tartar may be contaminated with other spices.

4 Shake a small amount of the product into your hand and smell it. Fresh cream of tartar has a mild flavor, but if it's old, you won't notice any scent.

5 Use the bar code on the bottom of the jar to test freshness of McCormick products on the company's website (see Resources). The site tells you exactly when the product was bottled and if it's still fresh.

Read more: How to Test Cream of Tartar for Freshness | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7420657_test-cream-tartar-freshness.html#ixzz2R8X7W3Q8

False

My Snickerdoodles come out flat when I use just butter.  If I use butter and shortening, they are not so flat.

False

oops...double post

False

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I think it was the cream of tartar because I bought a fresh container today and made a batch about 30 mins ago and they aren't flat.

They aren't as thick as I remember the last batch being, but they're perfectly acceptable !  lol

So I think the mystery is solved.

False

I have found that when cookies turn out flat like that down here, it is usually because more flour is necessary. Less flour makes a really flat cookie, more flour works best. I am at sea level, don't know if that makes a difference, but when we moved here many years ago, that is when I noticed the difference.

False