Cake decorators...Traveling with a decorated cake.... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cake decorators...Traveling with a decorated cake....

Last post Jun 17, 2013 4:28 PM by GmawMary . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Cake decorators...Traveling with a decorated cake....

Oh! The joy of decorating a cake. Whether a sheet cake, quarter cake, or round. To have a single layer to a triple layer, one can always do something creative with a cake. Whether a flavored decorated cake or an ice cream cake, there are ways to decorate a  cake to look like a master piece of art. You know people love the taste, but hate to cut the work of art. 

No matter what kind of decorated cake you create. You know the thrill goes out the minute you look at the master piece and think OKAY! Now how in the H e !! am I going to get that cake to the event. Whether it's big or layered, one has to be creative on getting it in a vehicle and to arrive at the party.

I have decorated cakes for a lot of long double digit years. Both professional and privately. I have even had a private decorated cake travel four states away to a relatives military home coming from the War. Thank Goodness it could be frozen and traveled well on ice. It still held up for the big event after it was thawed. I have had cakes decorated and traveled in high humidity to ice and snow weather.  A few needed fixed at the party because of humidity.

But today!! I think I have out did myself. A couple hours ago I finished a relatives Graduation  cake. The party is in five hours. I took a quarter sheet cake, then set a 9 X 13 cake on top (you use boards and dowel rods to support each layer) then a smaller size cake on top of that. YES! It's heavy to pick up. The family didn't want me to bring it ahead of time and assemble it. So it had to be made and decorated to just be able to sit on the cake table. I would show a picture here. But it has 25 photographs of the Graduate all over the cake beautifully arranged, with a cap, and other decorations. I already zipped a photograph to the Mother of the Graduate and she is breathless over how Beautiful she said it looked.

Now the fun part will be taking it to the church hall. NOT!!! I wish right now I had am open back panel truck. I would just haul it that way.  (A truck similar to Cake Boss. )But the reality is, that I will have to sit two family members (who are already protesting) in the back of my vehicle and have them carefully hold on to the cake. Thank goodness we don't have to go to far. And the speed in the direction we need to go is 25 to 35 mph. Without to many winding curves. It's not to humid out that melts icing. But this should be interesting to get  this big cake to the church hall. Because there is a Christian rock star having a concert at the one place and I need to travel past the concert hall and go a little farther to arrive at the church hall. So who knows how long traffic will be for people attending the rock concert. And I can't drive another way to the church hall. It is a rollercoaster of roads with ups and downs and curves. Should be very interesting here in a few hours.

So cake decorators.... What are your experiences on hauling  your masterpiece cakes that you have labored over decorating? Good?? Bad?? Melted icing? Cake break apart? Share your stories please.

False
  • Re: Cake decorators...Traveling with a decorated cake....

enjoynature
    The family didn't want me to bring it ahead of time and assemble it.

See, right here is where you lost me. I am not a decorator, but I have had my share of mishaps when transporting food. I would have told them at the beginning that the cake could not be transported in its finished state and would have to be assembled at the site. If they didn't like that, I would have said, "Well, I'm so sorry that I won't be able to make your cake for you, but I really want you to have a nice one, and I can't guarantee that if I put the cake together beforehand. But XYZ Bakery does a good job, so you might want to call them."

Maybe I'm being extra-cautious; I don't know. I had to quit watching those cake shows on TV because I can't stand to watch them try to carry those things over to the judging table. When I got married, my caterer brought my cake in sections and assembled it at the church. It seems ridiculous to me to do anything else.

Good luck--I hope all goes well and that everyone has a good time at the party.

False

Semisweet Lady.... There is not a good bakery around here. Most of them have went belly up. The grocery store bakeries are frozen cakes that come in and you quickly decorate them. I know I have worked in grocery store bakeries. Cardboard tastes better than some of these prefab cakes.

I could not say no! to not doing this cake. I was the one who asked "Do you want me to do _____(Graduates name)?I have done all the other children's Graduation cakes. I was even reminded today they have one more family member  to graduate and I need to be ready in a couple more years to design this child's cake.  

YES! I would have preferred to have assembled this cake before the party. But what one wants isn't what always what one gets to do.

Even at one time there was a wedding cake that was in layers waiting to be assembled at the church hall. Do you know what a cake can look like, when  someone suddenly comes to a screeching halt in their car? So the driver of car transporting the cake doesn't hit the moron in the other vehicle who just pulled out in front of them. The cake was salvageable. But the cake among many other problems that developed before the wedding was a jinx on what tragedies befell the bride and groom all the years they were married.

False

BEST OF LUCK AND KNOW IT IS LOVELY.

False

Not arguing with you, enjoynature, just saying what I would do. There is no way in the world that I would agree to transport a cake that elaborate. If they were my relatives, they'd agree to my terms or find another baker. I would consider that to be their problem, not mine. But, again, that's just me. An experienced professional might feel perfectly comfortable with the transportation. Anyway, I'm sure it will be a lovely party and a delicious cake!

False

Enjoynature- I'm sure your family trusts that your work is a labor of love and if the  cake falls apart because of morons  in other cars are coming at you, you will fix the cake as best you can. I'll bet it means more to them to have a cake that you made that may need repairs due to mishaps in transportation than to have a pre-frozen cake decorated by Mrs. John Q. Public at the store. And I bet you make great cakes.....

Just enjoy the party!!!

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

Party was grand. The cake made it 100 % okay. No touch up! No falling apart! Went more beautiful then I would have ever dreamed being transported and sat up. Everyone raved about it. Even last night after arriving home, I said to another family member why can't all the cakes go that grand.

False

Wonderful! I'm sure it was delicious, too. Do you have a picture?

False

So the identify of the graduate is not publicly known. I cannot place his cake on the boards here. Because there was pictures of him growing up all over the cake. With the top one being a picture of him at Graduation.

False

I haven't personally transported finished cakes to the event but many of the stacked and tiered wedding cakes I've made transported fine...and no we never sent the tiered cakes assembled that is not sturdy at all. We never put supports or dowels in the stacked cakes and I've done up to four levels on a stacked wedding cake and no mishaps.

Now....since my niece's wedding last year where I did not make her cake because we didn't feel comfortable driving 2-1/2 hours to Amarillo in June and she got it from a store there and it literally fell apart I promised to do her baby shower cake. Only thing is they will have to come down here to pick it up because with a decorator being lent to another store and another being on vacation at the time of the shower I won't be able to attend. Luckily it's just a baby-butt cake with feets poking out from under a fondant blankie. It should travel well. I'll tell them to keep it out of direct sunlight and have the ac running and don't leave it sitting in the car.

False

I'm not psycho.....I just like psychotic things.

Adria's World

My preference is ALWAYS to assemble on site but there have been a couple of occasions where that just wasn't possible.  I have purchased several heavy duty boxes in various sizes.  The secret is that the cakes cannot slide around.  I slice through the 2 front corners of the box. Then you can slide the cake on its board or plate straight into the box. Fold the front back up and tape it in place.  If the box (cake) is small enough to fit on the floor of the front seat I put it there and run the AC full blast - pointed at the floor.  Otherwise the box goes in a corner of the trunk or back of the SUV with something heavy up against the box the keep it from moving around.  I really prefer NOT to have people holding the cake - they're nervous and might not sit still and then there's the issue of body heat.  I really believe the cake is much safer in the trunk.  Haven't had a disaster yet!

False