College Census, Us Census, keeps bugging Daughter. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

College Census, Us Census, keeps bugging Daughter.

Last post Jul 04, 2013 8:11 AM by Alliea . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • College Census, Us Census, keeps bugging Daughter.

I may have gotten her in trouble. I usually just let it ring, she is taking a nap, and usually is when they call.

But, I decided to answer it. I asked why are they bugging her about this? The package they keep sending says NO Penalty will be done to her if she doesn't do it. SHe is stubborn, and won't do it. :/

The lady said she couldn't speak to me. So, I told her, ok, she isn't available right now, and she says she isn't going to do it unless it is mandatory, and the papers they send say it isn't. She says,,,Have a good day maam. LOL, Oh Well, I guess I'll have to wake her up and let her tell them off. 

It clearly says she doesn't have to do it, it is voluntary, but, why do they keep harassing her. Anyone else have that problem? The package they send say College. So, we figure Marshall gave them her name, but, not sure how they got her number.

False

catmint

• Re: College Census, Us Census, keeps bugging Daughter.

Cat, don't be so worried ~ unless your comment about getting her in trouble was in jest. Of course you didn't get her in trouble. Whatever it is is probably some scheme; don't even think twice about it. Have her put her phone number on the Do Not Call List and keep the phone unplugged when she's napping.

False

No, I'm serious. lol,,,

The other Census' were mandatory. This one says that you don't have to do it,,clearly,,,,so, she won't do it.

It saying College on the front of the envelope is strange to us. But, the phone ID says US Census Bureau.

False

catmint

I'll just not answer it again. I thought I'd just try to explain to them, that she isn't interested in doing it, and they should stop wasting there time and money on it. But, She sure didn't want to talk to me, which is fine by me, they can keep wasting their time and money.Their call. lol

False

catmint

But, we aren't in the time frame of a census right now.  There won't be one for several more years, right?  I don't know about the caller ID thing, but I've gotten several things that say US Census on the envelope, as has my husband, and they are not the real thing.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Is she on the Do Not Call List? I'd be interested to see if the calls keep coming if she signs up for that.

Google the actual phone number and see what you can find out.  You'll sometimes see lots of complaints about a nuisance number.

False

Rather than calling back the number they left, or the one from the caller ID, I'd suggest looking up the number for the US Census Bureau, or calling directory assistance for it.  She could then call them and ask whether they are actually behind the phone call you received, and if so, ask what she has to do to officially decline to respond.

When you're not sure a call is legitimate, it's always best to look up the entity's phone number for yourself, just as a confirmation that they are who they say.  Especially if they want personal information from you.

False

A lot of this is folk memories and cultural hangovers.

It is funny that this Census thing has come up.  I am the Director of our Council On Aging.  Two of my elders called  me  very upset.  They had received packets from the Census containing a 28 page form and information saying it WAS mandatory to fill out.  And since we are not in the Census time frame they were wondering if it really was legit as it was asking financial questions.  I called and talked to our Executive Office of Elder Affairs and he told me that it was for real.  And mandatory.  It seems the Census has sent out these forms randomly and not everyone gets one. 

Your daughter is lucky if her information is telling her it is not!  One of the elders read me a couple of the questions.  It started off asking if they had a working faucet in the kitchen sink and then went on to the financial questions.  That was what got the elders questioning weather or not it was all real.

If I received one and anywhere on it, it said it was not mandatory and federal fines would not be imposed I too would not be bothered to do it.

False
    Carolyn U.

Is your survey legitimate?

You may further verify if a collection activity is legitimate by calling your
    regional census office regarding
    mail surveys, and our National Processing Center
    for phone surveys. Other questions may be answered through our Are You In a Survey?
    page.

http://www.census.gov/survey_participants/related_information/phishing_email_scams_bogus_census_web_sites.html

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009