Do you think we are going to have an early winter? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you think we are going to have an early winter?

Last post Aug 12, 2013 4:57 PM by Catmint_WV_49F . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Do you think we are going to have an early winter?

I think we are going to have an early winter and a hard winter.

I have noticed in the last two weeks how nature is showing signs of an early winter.

Some things most people know are the birds, animals, and trees. 

I know the birds have been gathering in bunches, and singing more as night sits into darkness. Then a choir of chatter is heard in the morning as the sun is rising. The birds gathering in bunches is early this year. I have even saw swarms of them gathering like they are getting ready to fly south for the winter.

The animals coats are already getting thick. Usually in another month this is more noticeable. I noticed even how the deer's coats are looking like winter is drawing near.

The weather didn't help the gardens with the amount of rain. But several things in the garden look like a Fall front has drawn near to bring them early to set for the Winter. Even several of the trees are changing their colors of the leaves to yellow and dropping them like a frost has already hit. We had cold temperatures for a while. Now back up to hot. But this is still early to see leaves on the lawns and roads. I know the one newscaster said there is a bug that many have heard calling. And when you hear this bug you know winter is drawing near. I need to go on a mountain hike. It would tell me more on how close winter is drawing near. 

I know in my area you can see snow the first of October. It's hard to believe even how close that month is coming already.

False
  • Re: Do you think we are going to have an early winter?

It is only August and it looks and feels  like late September here in Western KY.  Temperatures have been much cooler than normal, and rainfall massive.  I noticed leaves falling from the maple trees in the backyard already, and the squirrels are starting to hide nuts!  It just looks like Fall!  So judging by these signs I think we will have an early winter.  I haven't seen any wooly worms yet, my grandpa always said if the wooly worms had thick coats winter was coming early!

False

I would think it will be a hard cold winter.  With this extreme heat and lack of moisture, we know we will get it in the winter!  In our area, we get a prescribed amount of precipitation in some form every year.  So if it's a wet sumer, it's a dry winter, and vice versa.  And well, it's hot and dry this summer!  I saw a bunch of geese the other day, and it's early for them by probably two weeks I think.  The trees amazingly enough are not changing colour, the grasses are mostly dead though, except in the shade.  People with lawns that dont water are brown and crunchy.  It's just too dry.    Good thing I have good winter tires, I suspect I shall really need them this year!  Living out in the country with no bus services for school means driving every day!  Ick!

False

almost anything will be better that this hellascious heat and humidity...  you notice i said "almost"!!!!!

False

YES!!! it is feeling fallish here in Northern California! This past week the temps have been in the high 80's- I've lived here all my life (50+ years) and have never seen such cool temps in August. The air in the mornings is almost crisp-have taken a sweater to work in the mornings but really have yet to put it on.

I have to admit I'm ready for the seasons to change, but I wish there was an easy way to get the cool temps and still enjoy all the fresh produce we get (tomatoes, peaches, etc).

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

Well I was going to come in here and say, "Oooo come on...we say this every year!"

But...I just came down from fussing with the horses and they're starting to get their winter fuzz!  Pretty early for that!

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

There was anoter post about weather just a couple of days ago and I mentioned that August here in sw North Dakota felt like early fall. Temps below normal for August  and my friend's apples are ripening earlier than usual. Can't judge by my tree because hail stripped off all the blossoms on the first day.

The weather is absolutely great. There were some thunderstorms last night but they happened to the west and south of us. Pretty close, though all we got was some rain.Beautiful agin today in the middle 70s. Cool at night in the low 50s. Very pleasant for sleeping with the windows open.

What can we do if we get an early winter?

Not much except gripe about it or enjoy it, take your pickBig Smile

False

YES! Gretel... What can we do if we get an early winter? Gripe or enjoy it?

I think we can grumble just about any time the weather doesn't suit us. But we often don't enjoy the blessings God does bestow on us in many ways with nature.

I know last night I sat out on the swing and watched several flocks of birds flying in swarms. It made me think of them gathering to fly south for the winter.

False

I always enjoy the change of seasons.

Heck ...who knows....maybe we're going to have an early and long fall! Wink

True

I don't know if I believe that animals magically know in advance what winter will be like.  I tend to assume that their coats thicken up when it starts cooling off, not in anticipation of something they "sense" will happen in a few months.

But that said, I hope we will get some winter this year.  Last year, my part of North-Central California pretty much didn't have winter.  No freeze, no snow flurries, and not nearly the amount of rain we need.  So I do hope we have a winter, or at least enough of one to refill the reservoirs.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

Lady Fingers
    I don't know if I believe that animals magically know in advance what winter will be like. 

I'm not sure if they sense something or not but I do know that some years they seem to come on earlier than others and thicker than others too, so it's really hard to say what drives it.  So far we've been hotter than normal so it's odd to have them getting fuzzy already.  I did notice leaves on my trees are starting to turn and it seems like I notice that at fair time every year, so that's not out of the ordinary.

True

I do wonder whether anyone has ever done a critical analysis of "farmers' almanac" type weather forecasts, to see if there's anything to these "how wooly are the wooly bear caterpillar" prediction methods.

But then again, it wouldn't be hard for them to be as good as the "scientific" predictions.

False

So what?  Big deal.
    --Closing lines of Buckaroo Banzai Beyond the 8th Dimension, AND of my childhood mix tapes.

There's been some research on the Wooly Bear Caterpillar one.

http://www.almanac.com/content/predicting-winter-weather-woolly-bear-caterpillars

True

Interesting, Sue.  That's pretty much in line with my own wooly bear experiences...

It's autumn.  I see a caterpillar.  It's wooly.  I try to remember what the last one I saw, last year, looked like.  Was it more or less wooly?  Was it more or less striped?  Who knows?  It was a year ago!!  Eventually winter comes, and is either warmer or colder than last year, and I think about that caterpillar.  And I still don't know whether it told me something or not.

Anyway, I guess I'd better make plans to inspect the roof, because cold or not cold, winter is coming!

False

So what?  Big deal.

Some animals know when winter is coming. You just have to know how to watch and look for certain types of animals to tell you when and how soon winter is coming.

I used to have an elderly Indian friend in my life who used to teach me a lot of the old ways on how to look at certain animals and natures and learn what they were telling you about certain things. I know she was good at telling me when the frogs disappeared and the fish would either dig in the mud or disappear and how soon winter would appear. She would also look at other things of nature and make her predications. She was never wrong.

I do know the animals seem to know when storms are going to appear way before they are even near. Or when death is in the air or an earthquake is going to happen. So why wouldn't they know even when the seasons are changing? 

False