Chicken in crock pot with tin foil?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Chicken in crock pot with tin foil??

Last post Sep 16, 2004 8:27 PM by beancountermom_ON . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Chicken in crock pot with tin foil??
    Somewhere I saw a recipe for whole chicken in the crock pot and you put a bunch of balls of tin foil on the bottom of the pot before cooking and cook the chicken up on top of them. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
    False
  • RE: Chicken in crock pot with tin foil??
    I did a search and found this for you. I haven't tried it but it has had good reviews....Peyton's Mimi :)

RE: Another raving review for Fake Rotisserie ChickenPosted by: nataliepoohPosted on: 5/20/2004 5:36:39 PM#R3688726Crock-Pot

(Fake) Rotisserie Chicken
    Warning: Don't buy a chicken larger than your slow cooker!

Foil
    1 whole chicken, about 4-4 3/4 pounds (not frozen)
    Herb or spice rubs (suggestion: Lawry's Seasoned Salt, garlic powder, paprika)

Wad up several sheets of foil to make foil balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place foil balls in slow cooker to cover bottom. This will keep chicken from boiling in the juices. (Alternatively, use a rack if you have one that fits into the bottom of your pot.) Remove package of organs from chicken cavity and discard. Rinse chicken inside and out, and pat dry with a paper towel. Rub or sprinkle your choice of herbs or spices all over the skin – use lots. Place chicken into slow cooker, on top of foil balls, and cook, covered, for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. There is no need to open the lid to check on it during cooking.

Remove from slow cooker and place on board to cut apart. (The skin will not be crisp; it will be soft.)

Serves 4.

Variations: Rub whatever spices and seasonings you prefer on the bird. They're all good. Consider: Cajun; poultry seasoning; lemon juice, garlic and rosemary; hickory smoked salt; adobo; Italian seasoning; curry powder or East Indian spices. Whatever you like!

Starting with a frozen bird: You may start with a frozen bird, but make sure you remove the organs from inside the chicken before you freeze it. And note that a frozen bird will not be as malleable as an unfrozen bird, so size is even more critical when it comes to fitting in the Crock-Pot. Prepare and cook bird as noted, for 10 hours on low.
    False
    Both of my Crock-Pots have racks & I've used them for chicken, it comes out very moist & nice. I like to use the chicken breasts with bone-in, rub with seasonings & cook on high 1 hr, then low for about 3-4 hrs. Tender & juicy chicken & so easy!
    Cali
    False
    Thanks PeytonsMimi - that is the one I was looking for. Did a search and it didn't come up.

I am going to make it for tomorrow night.
    False
    Let us know what you and your family think. My friend raved over it!

Peyton's Mimi :)
    False
    Hi, I saw this post and had to respond. Everyone was raving about this. We raise chickens. I love to use my crockpot. I had to try it. I was not impressed.
    I thought it was a BIG waste of foil. Yes, I guess I am cheap!!
    And my chicken really wasn't that spectacular. I cook chicken in the crockpot all the time. I put two chickens in my big crockpot and add a little water and cook for roughly 4 hours and I have moist and tender chicken. I use it in sandwiches, casseroles or whatever. And I am able to save some wonderful broth for future uses.
    So I am curious what you think of it.
    False
    I have done this method many times, and I have done without the foil many times. The biggest difference to me is that the chicken isn't stewing in its own juices with the foil, so it doesn't fall completely apart when removing it. Also, the meat is still tender without being waterlogged.
    False
    Yes, I make chicken like that all the time. I just wad up some balls of foil, place in bottom of crockpot and lay the chicken on the top. I might add a little water in the bottom.

I just put whatever seasoning I choose on the chicken. (Pepper, lemon pepper, garlic, parsely, etc.)
    I let it cook all day. It comes out of the crock pot all browned and so tastey!! One time I even brushed it with bar b que sauce while it was baking, and that was good too. Enjoy!! Don't be afraid to try making it...it is good!

Mary

Mary
    False
    I did do that, a couple of times, but my Dad said I shouldnt because the foil will get into the meat, and be unhealthy, so I just put the chicken in by itself, no soup or anything, and it does the same way.
    False

catmint

I would be afraid of the chemicals being released from the foil for such long periods of exposure to intense heat. After all foil thrown in a fire will eventually burn up. I would not try this at all. Besides I like having my own homemade broth if I want to have a roast chicken I bake it in the oven. Other wise when I do it in the crock pot it does fall apart but my family doesn't mind because they know homemade chicken noodle soup is not far behind. I sometimes tie the chicken up with string to hold it together.
    False
    I tried this the other night and we really liked it. I use my crockpot all the time and this did seem to leave it a bit less soggy than usual and I thought the skin seemed almost a bit crisper, to the extent that it possible in a crock pot.

Will do it again this way.

Thanks for all your input.
    False