Port Wine Substitute | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Port Wine Substitute

Last post Sep 17, 2004 8:10 PM by susiebear . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Port Wine Substitute
    I have a recipe that calls for 2 oz. of port wine in a savory strawberry sauce. I don't want to buy a whole bottle for just 2 oz. What could I substitute?

Chefly
    False
  • RE: Port Wine Substitute
    Any sweet red wine would do, such as sweet sherry.
    False
    Possible a "hearty" red wine like a Cabernet I would think, however ports are heavier. Are you cooking this sauce, & would you mind posting?
    :)
    Cathy
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    Next time you're shopping, buy those small boxes or cans of grape juice. That'll work.

False
    The recipe was posted here. Cashew Crusted Crab With Strawberry-Horseradish Emulsion

2 oz. Port wine
    1 cup strawberry preserves
    5 Tbsp. horseradish pulp
    1 oz. unsalted butter
    1 oz. olive oil
    1 qt. sliced fresh strawberries
    In a large saucepan, reduce the port wine by half. Add the preserves, horseradish, butter and olive oil. Simmer for 1 hour, blend well then incorporate the fresh berries into this emulsion.

Wasabi Cream
    1 oz. each Wasabi powder, water and Tasmanian honey
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    Combine in a small bowl, mixing well.

Cashew Crab Cakes
    2 lbs. Maryland jumbo lump blue crab
    2 cups minced, roasted cashews
    2 cups mayonnaise
    5 Tbsp. mustard
    2 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
    2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
    1 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
    1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 oz. malt vinegar
    1 oz. dry sherry
    1 tsp. Tobasco sauce
    2 cups Panko
    2 beaten whole eggs

In a large bowl, combine the mayo, mustard, seasonings, herbs, vinegar and sherry. Blend well and stir in the crab and Tobasco. fold in the Panko. Fold until well blended. Shape into cakes. Dip in beaten egg and roll in minced cashews.
    Saute in butter over medium heat until golden brown. Ladle a pool of the strawberry emulsion onto a serving plate. Drizzle a small amount of the Wasabi cream and swirl with a toothpick. Arrange crab cakes on top.

I plan on making some major changes to this as I can't get the real crab or the Tasmanian honey. I'll let you know how my cheap homestyle version comes out. Thanks for the Port wine substitution ideas.
    Chefly
    False
    Thanks for "re-posting". :) Can't wait to read your review.
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    Arelabs,Thank you so much for the tip that you can use grape juice in place of Port Wine.
    I had gotten this Port Wine Cheese Ball recipe sounds wonderful.I didn't
    want to buy it for that small amount.
    I am so glad there was a thread about
    this.
    Thanks again,
    Susiebear:o)
    False