OT: Do you tip furniture delivery men? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: Do you tip furniture delivery men?

Last post Sep 19, 2004 4:35 PM by PAdutch . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • RE: OT: Do you tip furniture delivery men?
    I think if they are really careful and bring it in and sit it up a $5.00 each tip would be nice. But if they just bring it in and sit it down, a Thank You.

When they delivered mine, they moved my night stands and carried thru the house, removed the plastic and took with them.

I always tip the maids at hotels because I think they have a hard job with low pay. $2.00 per night, and I leave it each morning instead of waiting until I check out, because lots of time you have different ones or it is their day off.

Cable guys I WOULD NOT TIP, unless they did something out of the ordinary. Movers, I never thought of when we had movers. I kinda figured they were getting paid good for their job? Now I have something to think about for the next move.

Tink.
    False
    We live in the toolies, so pay dearly for any deliveries. I never even considered an additional tip.
    False
    My DS worked this summer for a moving company and he said that people did tip them! I was suprised to hear that! Of course, I've never used a moving company, so I'd never really thought about it. I know one of the drivers of a moving van, someone that he was moving offered him a table or something. Some one else in the family got kind of upset that the family member had given it away. This person asked asked this Mover if he could have it. Mover said no. Reason being, it was very hot that day and the people that he was moving were eating and drinking and never even offered the Mover/helpers a thing to drink.(yes they went and got their own drinks, so they did have something to drink). He said that they were made to feel very inferior, so that's why he would not let the guy have the table after it was given to him. Really can't say that I blame him.
    Moving is really hard/hot/sweaty work. I could not imagine not offering anyone something to drink when they are doing some work for me.
    False

Thanks everyone. I had furniture delivered before, but had never thought about tipping until now.
    False
    My brother works for ArtVan and heres the thing.They do not expect to be tipped but love it when you do.If its just a 5 min.stop and drop dont worry about it.If they have to set up an entire room of furniture (assembly) and have alot of clean up and are there for a long time then they LOVE it!Most of the guys eat out every day because the cooler thing gets old real quick.A few tips here and there help out alot!Hope this helps.
    False
    I don't tip. In fact the last delivery I had was a fridge and the guys who delivered it stole my percacet. I had just gotten out of the hospital from after kidney surgery and had put the pill container on the kitchen table. When they left with the old fridge my pills were gone. As percacet is a narcotic I couldn't get a refill. I had nothing for my pain. I was told they could make $40. per pill selling on the street. I was also told to report it to the police but hey, do you really think delivery people would take it? By the time I checked to make sure I hadn't put the pills somewhere else could I prove they took the pills? Marlene
    False
    I have always tipped them,and we offer a drink also. Pat
    False
    I also offer soft drinks. I even offered it to the guy installing my cable. It was a really hot and humid day. From his reaction, you would have thought I had offered him a million dollars. He was so thankful. Then I was glad I had offered it to him.
    False
    I ALWAYS tip: The different things I've had delivered have always been treated carefully, as well as my walls etc. being NOT banged up. I realize this is their job, but any additional delivery charges are in NO WAY givien to the delivery guys!!

I also ask them to remeove my old stuff (sofa & loveseat for example) I tip $10 each as well as offering water or a soda. I can see the appreciation and they do a very demanding job.

If you can't afford it, that is fine. I can, so I do. For those that do not tip (for whatever reason) do you at least offer them water?

donnac
    False
    I don't tip them unless I have asked them to do something that is not part of the delivery, such as connect the tv they delivered or whatever. The delivery person(s) recieve a salary to do their job, I pay extra for the delivery and don't think a tip is in order.
    False
    Just a word to the wise for those of you who do tip. You know they are coming so have your tip money in your pocket.
    There was a special with an excon who explained how he chose his marks (those he stole from). When you go for your purse he knows where you usually keep it. When you are getting the money out of your billfold he sees not just your cash but if you carry many credit cards. Some people also keep money stashed in cookie jar,etc. He knows where that is.
    It only took him a minute to get what he wanted and he was gone. Or he returned later. He also did mention medication sitting around that he could sell on the street.

Better to be safe than sorry. That is a stranger in your home, not all are trustworthy. Most are but who wants to take chances. Oh and forgot to mention he worked for a major company for 12 years delivering and stealing before he was caught.

Now do I tip. Yes some I do. Others like the cable guy last week, who is not allowed to accept tips. Well he went off smileing with deer jerky. All are offered something to drink and many leave with homemade cookies, etc.

~~Nancy~~
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

You bet they steal!! We moved all over the country and have had things stolen, scratched or broken during the move. On our last move, we had a wooden chair that I saw on the truck and I saw that it had been broken, so they never even brought it into the house!
    False