ISO How to make a good pot of pinto beans | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO How to make a good pot of pinto beans

Last post Jan 12, 2005 5:01 AM by DukesMom . 34 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 123
  • ISO How to make a good pot of pinto beans
    How do I make a GOOD tasting pot of pinto beans? Thanks!
    False
  • RE: ISO How to make a good pot of pinto beans
    My mom cooks it in chicken broth & throws a chuck roast in the pot, too! It's excellent! In fact, it's what we had for supper tonight! How ironic.....:)
    False
    get you a smoked or flavored ham shank and cook them in the crock pot and add a packet of goya ham flavoring when they are done and stir it real good i always fix mine like this
    False
    My grandparents lived in West Virginia and pinto beans were eaten at least once a week. Grandma always used to soak the beans overnight, then the put them into a pot and cover with water about 2 inches over the beans. She added a peice of salt pork(maybe about half pound peice to a bag of dried beans) a chopped onion and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer slowly till beans are soft. We thought they were great this way!

Kaiana
    False
    Thanks for the recipes. They both sound yummy.
    False
    As a young man growing up in the Appalachian Mountains of Virginia pinto beans were on the table twice a day, 7 days a week. Beans were never soaked and nothing but a good hunk or two of salt pork was ever added to them. Slow simmered all day long, they were at their best when matched with a slab of crumbled crunchy cornbread (no flour in that mix) and a heavy dollop of finely chopped onions. I still love them but my wife of almost 40 years only indulges me with them once a week. I fondly remember the family pariarchs "crushing" the cooked fatback onto the cornbread with their forks and telling us younger folks how wonderful it was! All of them lived into their 80's or 90's. There is something to be said for high roughage diets and tough manual labor. My great grandfather died in a sawmill accident in his mid 90's.

Enjoy your beans. They are this hillbilly's favorite meal.
    False
    Oh, I think the best way to make a pot of beans is in the crockpot. Not only because it`s easy but cooking it slow all day really gives it some awesome flavor. So here`s my recipe. And this is REALLY MY own recipe :-) And like alot of the things I make, I really don`t have a "recipe",,,I just throw some stuff together. I`ll try to make out a recipe for this though, because this IS really good if I do say so myself :-)

1 lb bag of pinto beans
    2 (atleast) ham hocks
    1 medium onion chopped
    4 or 5 cloves of garlic diced (optional)
    2 or 3 slices of ham (optional)
    Enough water to cover everything in the crock pot.
    Then I just put everything in the crock pot and set on low in the morning, and by supper time you will have some awesome tasting pinto beans. And don`t forget to make corn bread. Everyone knows that you can`t eat beans without cornbread. :-)
    And so the beans aren`t so gassy I soak them over night in just plain water with about 4 tablespoons of baking soda. Just make sure you rinse the beans VERY good before using them.
    Also, don`t use any salt while your beans are cooking,,,it will make them tough. I`m 38 years old and I didn`t know that until about 5 years ago. It really does make a big difference if you don`t ad salt when you cook pinto beans. And the ham hocks, and slices of ham if you use them have enough sodium. You can always ad salt at the table.
    And I always ad as much water as my crock pot will hold because we love the juice almost as much as the beans themselves. We always just break a piece of cornbread up with a good glob of real butter in our bowls, then put the beans on top.

Cathy
    False
    Oh Kaiana, these sound so good. Thanks so much for sharing!
    False
    here's how I make mine:

* soak 1 lb beans overnight
    * drain water and cover beans with fresh water (6 to 8 cups for 1 lb)
    * add several chopped slices raw bacon
    * add 1 onion, chopped
    * 1 to 2 garlic cloves
    * 1 bayleaf
    * salt, pepper
    * boullioncube(or substitute some of the water for broth)
    * a few drops of liquid smoke
    * 3 to 4 smoked hamhocks or smoked sausage

Cook till beans are tender, about 2 hrs

I serve this with Jalapeno/Ccheddar Cornbread

Sooo good!
    Simone
    False
    OH, how I am loving this subject. Thanks so much for sharing your recipes and stories. I also believe that in the good old days people could eat like they did, because they worked so hard on farms and in mines and mills and such. Thank again for sharing!
    False
    Pinto Beans...I honestly think they are good about any way you cook them. I don't soak...I cook my beans in a big cast iron pot with a nice ham bone if I have it...if not, I use a thick slab of fat back. I chop up a medium onion, add salt and pepper, a pinch of sugar, enough water to cover, and simmer several hours. Sometimes, I add a little Cajun Seasoning to give them a little kick. Most of the time, I cook them one day for the next. I think they are better the next day.

Fratz
    False
    I like to use ham in my beans. Sometimes I soak, sometimes not. I add salt right at the end of cooking, and I think the secret is to leave the lid off and cook for awhile to thicken just a little. Tammy
    False
    bump for me
    False
    My family and friends swear I make the best pinto beans they have ever eaten and some who would not eat pinto beans before will eat mine. I sometimes soak my beans, if I happen to think of it, but most usually do not.*smiles* I pick through my pintos, putting them in a large pan, cover with water, add some ham from a smoked ham or the ham bone if I have it. And I cook and cook the beans, making sure to keep an eye on the water so it does not burn. I cook until the beans are about to fall apart, smashing some to make my liquid thicker. Salt if needed, depending on the salt in the ham.Serve this with homemade cornbread or homemade biscuits. Nothing like a pot of beans and corn bread with some finely chopped onions on top and some cooked cabbage on the side. Connie
    False
    Oooops, I forgot my most important ingredient though, I add a couple heaping Tbsp of lard to mine. I know, I know, but boy I think that is the main part of my beans tasting to good, and I forgot the darned thing in the first part of my post. Connie
    False