ISO - Espinaca Dip (from Shortys) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO - Espinaca Dip (from Shortys)

Last post Sep 06, 2012 12:48 AM by gratefulservant_AZ . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • ISO - Espinaca Dip (from Shortys)
    I've combed all the 'copy cat' websites and cookbooks but can't find a recipe for the 'Espinaca Dip' that Shorty's Mexican Restaurant serves. It's the only way I can get my kids to eat spinach !! Does anyone have the recipe to share?

False
  • RE: ISO - Espinaca Dip (from Shortys)
    bump for help....

-angel
    False
    Not familiar with that specific recipe or restaurant but here's a recipe I found googling hot spinach mexican dip. Hope this is close.

Hot Mexican Spinach Queso Dip

Ingredients:
    1 – 16oz. jar Tejano salsa (click here) medium
    1 lb. fresh spinach, cleaned and loosely chopped
    2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1 – 8oz pkg Philly cheese, softened, cubed
    1 cup evaporated milk
    1 – 4 oz. can chopped black olives, drained
    1 Tbsp. Balsanic vinegar

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    In a medium mixing bowl, add all the above ingredients and mix evenly.
    Pour into a shallow, oven proof baking dish, bake mixture for 20 minutes
    or until bubbly.
    Serve with plenty of tortilla chip and bite-size fresh vegetables on a warming plate

Makes 7 cups.

Tip: this dish is quite creamy and thin straight out of the oven, serve it over bowtie noodles with toast points. Excellent!

False
    Where is this restaurant? We have a chain on Shorties here. I have one similar to what a store in NH makes. Are you from the same area? If so this might interest you.
    False
    I've been to the Shorty's in Manchester and Bedford and have tried to get them to give me that recipe with no luck :) It sure is good though!

http://www.shortysmex.com/

It lists the ingredients as jack cheese, hot peppers, onions, spinach and fresh tomatoes. And it is YUMMY!

:)
    Jolene
    False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

I never stopped to think that Shorty's is a regional chain !! I'm in Nashua NH myself. There is another restaurant (Martha's on Main St) that serves the same dip but I can't get them to give up the recipe either !!

The ingredients that Jolene described are exact, but I can't seem to create the same dip by combining them all.
    False
    I'm in Manchester :) I haven't been to Martha's in a while, since I did my training for Oxford Health Plans.

As for Shorty's, I love their atomic chicken fingers, uncommon caesar salad and raspberry margaritas.

Jolene
    False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

The espinaca dip I have is similar to the one Vista grocery store carries, I think it is in their deli. It is very good. It is made up on land o lakes cheese w/jalapenos, the kind in the 8 0z block, half and half, chopped spinach, cilantro and if you like it real hot chopped pickled jalapenos in the glass jar. I gave my recipe away to a friend but you melt one bar of cheese with about 1 cup of half and half and add remaining ingredients. They add chopped tomatoes on top. If you have specific questions and want me to e-mail my friend, please let me know. As I stated before I am not on the board regularly, you can e-mail me if you need to.
    meadowcreekfarm@aol.com
    False
  • Re: ISO - Espinaca Dip (from Shortys)

Hi Tamson, Better late than never. This is Shorty's recipe, you will just have to cut it in half or a little less. Land O Lakes is the secret, it melts the best.. 

Espinaca Con Queso

2 C Onions diced
    2 C Tomatoes diced
    7 1/2 lbs Hot Pepper Cheese (Land O Lakes only)
    1 Lb Chopped Spinach, Thawed, Drained
    1 1/2 C Half & Half

Method

1) Shred cheese
    2) Drain and squeeze spinach to remove all juice
    3) Spray kettle generously with pan spray.
    4) Pour milk in kettle and heat to 180'
    5) Add shredded cheese and stir continously until cheese is completely
         melted, then turn off heat.
    6) Mix tomatoes, onions, and spinach into cheese distributing the
         vegetables evenly

Serve with any kind of Mexican chips

False

This sounds so good.

False

WOW!  I googled Espinaca and look what showed up-just what I was looking for!  Jolene, take a peek....

Thank you MsJMD!

Carol

False

One of my favorite things is the Cortez Steak with Espinaca con Queso that Macayo's has and this sounds like the same thing except that theirs has mushrooms. If so yum....but it will take a lot of cutting down that recipe for sure!

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon