Why are ground cloves so expensive? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why are ground cloves so expensive?

Last post Oct 07, 2004 11:29 AM by HealthyLivingWA . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Why are ground cloves so expensive?
    I went to the store to buy some ground cloves so I could try out some of the pumpkin bread recipes everyone has posted here recently and they were about $6 for the little McCormick bottle(maybe an ounce?)!

I don't remember ground cloves being so expensive!

Needless to say, I decided I'd wait and go to WalMart and see if I could get a better price for them there. That's a bummer because I like to make a lot of stuff with it.
    False
  • RE: Why are ground cloves so expensive?
    I mail order my spices from Penzey's and they are much more reasonable-probably fresher too.
    False
    Try the Dollar stores! I found a 7 oz. jar -- yes 7 oz. that is not a typo for one dollar!! Good luck!
    False
    If you have an Amish store near you anywhere, try them. They are unbelieveable. We have a large Amish community a couple of miles away and one lady runs a store. I buy all my flour and sugar there, 50 and 20# bags, for much less than in regular stores. And all my spices in bulk. I just bought one ounce of cloves for 15¢. Quite a difference from the stores. Same for nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, etc. It would be worth it to drive a number of miles to one.
    False
    Hi anglewings, I have run into the same problem. I have done some of the same mentioned above as the dollar store. The only thing is, you may have to check more than once. The McCormick and Schilling spices have really gone out of sight.

I did one more thing, I bought a small Proctor-Silex coffee grinder, Model E160B. I now grind my own spices as I need them.

It stands about 7 inches high, 4 inches wide, has a stainless steel bowl (holds about 4 or 5 ounces), and only cost me $6.95.

I do barbecue dry rubs in it for a very nice blend and grind.

Wish you luck, Boe
    False
    I buy mine in the bulk at the local WINCO but have also found them at Fred Meyers (a division of Kroeger) aThey have them at Cub foods--don't know if any of those stores are in you area or not.
    False
    If you look in the ethnic sections of your grocery store you can find some herbs and spices at a much more reasonable price.
    False
    I found some at the $ store too!! Didn't really need them when I picked them up but got them anyway at that price how could I say no?!! LOL!
    False
    bump
    False