SPAETZLE (Spatzen: Tiny Dumplings) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

SPAETZLE (Spatzen: Tiny Dumplings)

Last post Oct 14, 2004 12:45 PM by neelycharmed . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • SPAETZLE (Spatzen: Tiny Dumplings)
    SPAETZLES (Spatzen: Tiny Dumplings)

These little batter-noodles were made whenever Grandma Block cooked a Pot Roast or Sauerbraten. She started the Spaetzle batter about an hour ahead of time, beat the batter with a wooden paddle for a minute or two, then let the batter “rest” for a little while. Then it would be beaten some more. In fact, whenever anyone headed for the kitchen, they’d be asked to “Give the spaetzles a stir!” By the time it was ready to use, the batter was elastic, shiny and slightly thick. (The batter works well even without all that beating!) (The Block Family)

You will need a colander or a special Spaetzle-maker-a pan with 3/8 inch holes in the bottom. Or, cutting bits of the batter from a spoon into the boiling water works well-it’s just slower. Here is method:

4 eggs (or more)
    ½ egg-shell of water for each egg used Enough flour to make a thick batter
    A pinch of salt

Whisk the eggs and water together, and add flour gradually, beating well. Let batter “rest” after beating, repeat beating and resting several times, then push through Spaetzel-maker with wooden spoon into boiling water. When all the Spaetzles are floating, lift them out into a serving dish and cover with Buttered Crumb Topping.
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
  • RE: SPAETZLE (Spatzen: Tiny Dumplings)
    I love them!! I grew up with them served with butter and green beans!! Thanks for sharing!
    False
    bump

-angel
    False
    Being Hungarian I have made these for years, I did have a spaetzle maker but I find cutting little pieces of dough from a plate into boiling water works very well. I serve them with chicken paprkias, or very or beef goulash, also make sauted cabbage, here is recipe.

Cabbage with Spaetzle

Cut cabbage into thin pieces, remember cabbage cooks down so use a large one, 2 onions diced,approx. 2 tblsp. corn oil and a little water in electric fry pan and saute until cabbage is soft do not brown. Meanwhile make spaetzele 1 egg to 1 cup flour approx. 1/2 water,cut into boiling water they are done when they come to the top,drain and mix into cooked cabbage,add approx.3 tlbsp. hungarian sweet paprika,salt & pepper, some nites we don't want meat for supper and make this our meal. Good this time of year when cabbage is so nice. Enjoy.
    False
    Thanks for both of the recipes on this thread. They are some things that my DH loves! Sauerbraten and Spaetzle are his favorite thing to order at this great German place we go occasionally.
    False

thank you for the recipe leves!!!

twinkle
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    What I wouldn't give for a big dish of spaetzle right now. I love it with with any kind of dish that has a thick sauce or gravy. Butter is good too. And, does anyone eat leftover spaetzle cooked with scrambeled eggs? So good. Here's a great recipe from my favorite German restaurant in Mpls, MN. Note: you can use boneless pork in place of the beef stew meat.

BLACK FOREST GOULASH

1 1/2 lbs stew meat beef
    flour, salt & pepper
    1/2 cup oil
    2 cloves finely chopped garlic
    3 cups thinly sliced onions
    1/4 cup paprika
    2 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 cups beef broth
    1 cup red wine
    1 tbsp tomato paste
    bay leaf/salt & pepp
    2 cups juliened green pepper
    1 1/2 cups thinly wedge tomatoes

Dredge meat in flour, salt & pepper. Brown in oil. Add garlic and
    onions. Cook until onions are limp. Add paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook
    carefully for 1 to 2 mins. (do not burn paprika). Add stock, wine, tomato
    paste and seasonings. Reduce heat, cover pan and simmer gently for about
    an hour. Add green pepper and cook slowly 30 mins. more. Add tomatoes and
    finish cooking until meat is tender. Serve with noodles or rice.

False
    i love spaetzle!
    the first time i made it was in school and they told us to "slap" or "spank" the dough. LOL i could eat this until i get sick...
    thanks for posting...
    :)
    neely
    False