What if you don't have buttermilk? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What if you don't have buttermilk?

Last post Oct 19, 2004 2:01 PM by gmansmom__MN . 5 replies.

Rate This

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • What if you don't have buttermilk?
    If you did not have any buttermilk on hand, would you use the vinagar and milk recipe to make sour milk instead of the buttermilk. It seems like every time I go to the store to buy buttermilk the date is almost expired and I hate to buy it because I don't use it often.
    False
  • RE: What if you don't have buttermilk?
    I never use buttermilk. I always use vinegar and milk.

For one cup of buttermilk, I use 2 Tablespoons of vinegar, then fill the rest of the cup with milk.

Works everytime.
    False
    Thanks ladies!
    False

I have used 2 parts of plain yogurt to one part milk.
    works great in a buttermilk pancake recipe I have. Havent tried it in anything else. I read this hint in a cooking magazine.
    helen
    False
    someone else gave me a tip what you don't use put in icecube tray and freeze, pop em' out and store them in a zip lock baggie in the freezer. Thaw before using.
    False
    I have also subbed plain yogurt for buttermilk and didn't note any change in the recipe. I think the powdered buttermilk is way over-priced, and if I decide to buy some fresh I will find ways to use it. Any bread from the bread machine can have buttermilk subbed for any liquid and extra loaves go in the freezer; pancakes made with buttermilk can be frozen; I use buttermilk in mashed potatoes and the flavor is awesome (no one knows it buttermilk anyway)

I would say if you are finding expired buttermilk in the store that someone in that store isn't doing their job. I have kept buttermilk in the fridge for a month after it's expiration date and I don't see much change in it. It just needs to be shaken up to break up any lumps that form.
    False