Beef roast in foil | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Beef roast in foil

Last post Oct 23, 2004 8:36 AM by CHUCK9354 . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Beef roast in foil
    When I was young, my dad made a great beef roast that was sealed in foil. It had a sauce that was on the roast and all was sealed in foil and grilled. I believe he dot the recipe out of a magazine. I would really like to find this it was about the best roast beef I've ever had.
    False
  • RE: Beef roast in foil
    It probably was a chuck roast (or other fairly flat roast) placed on a large piece of foil, a can of cream of mushroom soup on top of meat, and sprinkle a package of Lipton's Onion Soup (dry) on top of soup. Wrap and seal foil and bake in oven about 25 to 30 minutes per pound. I know I made this many times when all my family was still home.
    Gerrie
    False
    Welcome to the board Chuck.
    I have made it many times like Gerrie with the mushroom soup and dry onion mix.
    Also with a can of beef gravy and the pk of dry onion soup. Husbands favorite.
    Or a pk of Liptons dry onion soup and a cup of water.

Any one of them will make a great roast when wrapped in the foil. Or even in a cooking bag.

~Nancy in Texas~
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

I don't have a recipe to offer, just wanted to welcome you to the BB from Olathe, KS :)
    Cathy
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    Hi Chuck, Welcome to the board. I also made this but used dry onion soup and one can of tomato sauce, I think I use to put it in a very slow oven(250°) for about 4 hrs.
    Carol
    False
    This is my tried-and-true pot roast in foil recipe, from the Betty Crocker Cookbook:
    Put beef chuck roast in 9x13 foil-lined pan, top roast with cream of mushroom soup & onion soup mix (or Cubbybear's To Die For seasonings), seal foil, and bake at 300 degrees for 4 hours.
    However, the one you were looking for was grilled, so this would be a little (no, a lot!) too goopy -- it would be dripping out all over the place. You could just use dry seasonings inside the foil and cook it on the grill; that might work. Sounds really good -- now I'm curious as to how you could do this. Did it have that charcoal flavor? If so, that would really be to die for. What kind of roast did your dad use -- a relatively lean cut or something a little higher grade that would be naturally tender?
    Sorry I couldn't be more help, but hope you are able to get what you're looking for.
    False
    Bump back to the top

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Welcome aboard, Chuck,

Many years ago, Reynolds aluminum foil had a small cookbook that came with the roll of foil.

That may be where your Dad got the recipe.

The book told you how to take frozen meat, how to wrap it, temperatures and time to cook the frozen meat in the oven. It always came out juicy and tender. I use to prepare all my roast this way but I lost the little book.

I do make kalua pork very simular. I usually make boston butt with Hawaiian rock salt and a little liquid smoke, roll it tight in heavy duty foil, bake at 325 degrees, and then an hour longer than what the baking chart calls for. This makes for easy shredding and any fat removal. I then pour the juice over the shredded meat.

You may make a post and ask if anyone has that little cookbook.

I hope this helps and enjoy.

Boe

False
    My mom makes a rump roast in foil. She places the roast on the foil and then sprinkles onion soup mix over the top, seals the foil and bakes for about 4 hours at 325. MMMMM good... I will tell her to put the mushroom soup on it the next time.
    False
    Thank you, everyone for the response. Wow I sure got some good ideas. Thanks again.
    Chuck
    False