Substitute for Oil in cake mix recipe?! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Substitute for Oil in cake mix recipe?!

Last post Nov 30, 2010 8:18 PM by egelstein . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Substitute for Oil in cake mix recipe?!
    I'm all out of vegetable oil and I don't have any applesauce either.

I just want to make the chocolate fudge cakemix that I have and I don't want to run out to the store.

Is there anything else I can use? I know some recipes call for sour cream--do you think that will work?
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
  • RE: Substitute for Oil in cake mix recipe?!
    Hi Zee, do you have applesauce? Just substitute equal amount for oil. Also, you can sub. yogurt!When I do use a substitute, adding just a tablespoon or two of oil helps the texture.
    False
    Mayonnaise?
    False
    OOps! Forgot you said you didn't have applesauce LOL ! Yes, sour cream works too! Just about any pureed fruit will work,it will change the flavor,though. Applesauce is good because it isn't as noticable as, say, bananas. If you experiment some, you may find a new taste that you really like!
    False
    Try making the cake without anything. It will be fine. I do it all the time.:)
    False
    I have read other posts that mentioned they did not use any extra oil and it worked fine. The only one that comes to my mind right now is Candykisses. I'm sure with that recommendation (she is a good source of cooking knowledge) it would certainly work.
    False
    Thank you! I'm going to try some sour cream, I think. But the mayonnaise is probably the closest to oil. Hmmm.
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    ZeeRN, When I make my cake with mixes I use:
    1 Box Cake Mix
    1 cup Mayonnaise
    3 eggs
    1 cup water
    Bake by box directions.
    Comes out moist and really good.
    Have always had complements when I make it this way.
    Hope you like.
    LindaRose
    False
    Any melted shortening or butter will do.
    False
  • Re: RE: Substitute for Oil in cake mix recipe?!

What About For a Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Confetti Cupcakes mix? I have no veggie oil but i have other types of oils. Is that ok? I really need it because it is my grandmother's birthday coming up soon.
    False

Whenever I make a box cake, I use the recipe that was on the Duncan Heinz cake mix boxes years ago.  It tastes great and you'd never know that there was supposed to be oil in it.  I know this one just gives info for yellow cake, but that's because that's the box that I cut it off from.  I do all the flavors this way.  Here it is:

Lite Recipe:  (uses no oil) (20% fewer calories and 50% less fat than regular Yellow cake.  Lite recipe: 200 calories, 5g total fat per serving.  Regular Yellow cake 250 calories, 11g total fat per serving.

Eliminate oil and use 2 eggs and 1 1/3 cups water.  Bake at 350 F; two 8-inch layers 29-32 mins; two 9-inch layers 24-27 mins; 9x13 inch 29-32 mins; bundt (12 cup) 39-44 mins;24 cupcakes 14-17 mins.

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

I have used this recipe ever since it was posted here and my sister loves it, too.  I don't know who to give credit to, but it makes the best cakes, using cake mix.

Cake mix

2 eggs

2 cups milk

1 box instant pudding mix (even if it is already in the cake mix)

Mix for 2 minutes and pour into cake pan or pans.  Bake 350º for approximately 25 minutes.

False

My mother used to always make mayonnaise cakes, and I never thought to get the recipe from her before she passed. This one is a great mayonnaise cake recipe, and duplicates what my Mom used to make. Thank you LindaRose!

False