Need help with this recipe-what can I substitute for dijon mustard in the chicken breast/dijon mustard/mayo/parmesan cheese recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need help with this recipe-what can I substitute for dijon mustard in the chicken breast/dijon mustard/mayo/parmesan cheese recipe?

Last post Nov 11, 2004 10:32 AM by mlj . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Need help with this recipe-what can I substitute for dijon mustard in the chicken breast/dijon mustard/mayo/parmesan cheese recipe?
    I looked in the pantry and I don't have dijon mustard. I do have classic yellow mustard, French's sweet and zesty, and a French's honey mustard. I'm not sure what the differences would be between all of these. Which one can I substitute for dijon?

Rec: Easy Elegant Chicken
    Posted by: Rhonda_GA Replies: 18 Posted on: 1/28/2003 8:59:21 AM
    #T133579
    I had forgotten all about this recipe, until I saw it on one of my monthly menus from 2 years ago... DH first made it for a "special" dinner for me (he found it in a cookbook), and we have enjoyed it many times since.

4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
    1/2 cup dijon mustard
    1/2 cup mayo
    1 cup FRESHLY GRATED Parmesan cheese (don't use the green can stuff, it REALLY makes a difference!)

Mix mustard and mayo together. Put half of cheese onto a plate. Brush one side of chicken with mayo mixture. Lay coated side down on cheese on plate. Brush remaining mayo mixture on chicken, cover with remaining cheese. Transfer to a baking dish. Bake at 425 for 30 min or until juices run clear.
    False
  • RE: Need help with this recipe-what can I substitute for dijon mustard in the chicken breast/dijon mustard/mayo/parmesan cheese recipe?
    If it were me, I would use the Honey Mustard. I am sure that will turn out great.
    False
  • RE: Need help with this recipe-what can I substitute for dijon mustard in the chicken breast/dijon mustard/mayo/parmesan cheese recipe?
    Is dijon mustard mild or strong?
    False
    I think any of the three would be fine. As for the strength of the dijon, it depends on the brand. Something like Grey Poupon is a lot stronger than a store brand, which is what I normally use. But I do think that any of these would work just as well.
    False
    Dijon is more savory than the ones you have at home. However, I would just use what I had. It should turn out fine with any type of mustard!

Good Luck
    Kali
    False
    Thanks for your advice. I don't know why I am so nervous about this recipe!!
    False
    mlj-don't be nervous, this is one of the easiest (and most elegant, hence the name!) chicken dishes there is. You can't mess it up! Enjoy! :-)
    False
    Thanks Rhonda-I guess I'm nervous because I know my husband isn't fond of mayo and I can't imagine what mayo and mustard mixed must taste like. Then you must think "then why is she even making this recipe?" I think it'll be good but wonder what the other half will think. I'll let you know tomorrow.
    False
    Rhonda-made this last night with plain yellow mustard. To my surprise, my husband really loved it.
    False