??? about cooking rice ahead and keeping it warm | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

??? about cooking rice ahead and keeping it warm

Last post Nov 13, 2004 2:22 PM by Love2Sew . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • ??? about cooking rice ahead and keeping it warm
    I need to cook a large amount of rice for tomorrow's dinner and keep it warm. I had thought about cooking it in the microwave in small batches and keeping it warm in a crockpot on the "keep warm" setting. Have any of you tried this or have other ideas?? I'll be using basmati rice and will be cooking at least 4 cups of raw rice.
    Thanks!
    L2S
    False
  • RE: ??? about cooking rice ahead and keeping it warm
    I have kept rice warm in my 1.5 qt crock pot before. If you think it is starting to dry out, put a little chicken broth on it.

You do kind to have to watch it, tho.

Kathy
    False
    False

anybody else??
    False
    When I grew up before microwaves, leftovers, especially rice or noodles, were reheated in a large collander over simmering water. The steam kept things moist.
    False
    Have you considered just cooking it in a crockpot? This would be less work & worry for you, too. Unfortunately, I don't know the times, etc. for this method.
    False
    Cooking it in the crockpot would be a possiblity. But I don't know the times, etc. either. I'll do some checking. Thanks to everyone for their ideas.
    False
    This is what I found:

Perfect Rice –
    Yield: 10 servings
    1 c Rice
    2 c Water
    Butter or margarine
    Salt

Follow directions on rice package for proportion of rice to water. (Up to 4 cups raw rice may be prepared in CROCK- POT-makes 10 cups cooked). Rub CROCK-POT lightly with 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Pour in rice, water and salt. Cover and cook on High 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. NOTE: When turned off, CROCK-POT will keep rice warm for serving for 2 to 3 hours! To "cook all day" ( Low: 8 to 10 hours) use 2 to 3 cups long grain converted rice, 4 to 6 cups water or broth, 2 table- spoons butter or margarine. Salt to taste before serving.

False
    Here's another:

Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Foolproof Rice

Note from Cheri:
    This ingenious recipe for putting your slow cooker to good use came to us from Kellie Head and Loretta Casteen of LazyGourmets.com, where you can visit for more great quick and easy to prepare recipes.

You'll never again have to deal with anything other than perfect rice when you make it like this in your slow cooker.

1 cup regular raw, white rice
    1 cup water
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon butter

Place all ingredients together in crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

This Foolproof Rice recipe really does work, even with the small amount of water required. Covering the crockpot and setting it on Low effectively turns your crockpot into a rice steamer. The rice will have the consistency of steamed rice and will not be the kind of "sticky rice" that you would get from cooking it in a pot on the stove top.

©2003 FabulousFoods.com
    False