WHY DOES MY MERINGUE ALWAYS GET WET? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

WHY DOES MY MERINGUE ALWAYS GET WET?

Last post Nov 23, 2004 1:47 PM by aspiringcook . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • WHY DOES MY MERINGUE ALWAYS GET WET?
    I have wasted so many pies due to the ugly meringue forming beads on it. I have searched through the piles of my cookbooks and I can't find an explanation. With all of the good cooks here, can someone please help me?
    False
  • RE: WHY DOES MY MERINGUE ALWAYS GET WET?
    I've heard various reasons for beads forming. Undissolved sugar being one. Anyway, putting cornstarch in seems to help. Pulled this from the search.....
    Posted by: blackberry Posted on: 7/23/2002 12:16:01 AM
    #R479861
    Topnot, I don't get on here too often but I think I can help you with the "Meringue Problem" - I bake about 50 pies a week and have tried lots of methods. Here's the one that works best for me. Take about half a cup of water and half a cup of sugar, bring to a boil. Stir in about 2 Tbsp of cornstarch dissolved in a couple of Tbsp cold water. Stir well as it will thicken very quickly. Have ready in your mixer bowl three egg whites (room temp) beating along with a pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar and a little vanilla. Fluff these along with a spatula into the beaters with mixer on high for about 3-4 minutes until stiff peaks are forming. Now add the hot cornstarch mixture to the bowl and continue beating on high for three or four more minutes. Switch to low and beat until ready to pile on your HOT pie filling. With this method and a little practice you will make lovely pies. Good luck.RE: Merangue
    Posted by: blackberry Posted on: 7/23/2002 12:22:15 AM
    #R479876
    Topnot,
    I should have added That I bake the meringue pies in a moderate 350 deg. oven (top shelf) for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Several other factors affect meringue, even the weather, and it is good to allow pies to cool slowly.
    Hope this helps!
    False
    I have spent lots of time trying to perfect my meringue. I have tried corn starch, cream of tarter, ets. My solution is that I beat my egg whites (usually 4 eggs) and add only about 1-1/2 tablespoons of sugar. They never weep!

connieh
    False
    I heard this weekend that someone said they put a little baking powder in their meringue. Haven't tried it and never heard of it before but.....
    False
    aspiringcook,

I'm bumping this post up for you.

(? for Mrslovetocook RE Never Fail Meringue)

False
    I just told dh that I will not make meringue pies because my meringue always shrinks and gets sticky and it all comes off when I try to cut it. LOL Maybe I'll give it one more try.
    False
    bump for aspiring cook
    False
    Sweet and simple........you're filling isn't thick enough. While it's hot it should be as thick as a cooled pudding.
    False

My filling was very thick. Plus, I've made various pies and the meringue always has the same result. Thanks for the tips.
    False
    I use Tyler Florence's recipe for Italian Meringue, and have had very good results with it. It was on a Food 911 show, with a lady who makes a scrumptious sweet potato casserole, but could never get the meringue to come out right. The show was just on again recently, so if you go to the food network site, you should find it easily. I'll try to post for you.
    False
    Italian Meringue Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
    User Rating:

1 cup superfine sugar
    1/3 cup water
    5 egg whites, at room temperature
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

In a small pot over low heat, combine sugar and water. Swirl the pot over the burner to dissolve the sugar completely. Do not stir. Increase the heat and boil to soft-ball stage (235 to 240 degrees). Use a candy thermometer for accuracy. Wash down the inside wall of the pot with a wet pastry brush. This will help prevent sugar crystals from forming around the sides, falling in and causing a chain reaction. Prepare your meringue.
    In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the eggs whites on low speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, increase the speed to medium, and beat until soft peaks form.

With the mixer running, pour the hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over fluffed egg whites. Beat until the egg whites are stiff and glossy. Spread the meringue over a hot cake or pie, and bake as directed.

For Meringue Cloud Cookies: Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Dollop spoonfuls of meringue onto baking pans, alternatively you may use a pastry bag with a star tip. Bake for 2 hours until crisp. Turn off the oven and allow meringues to cool and completely dry out.

False
    Here's the sweet potato recipe. It is sinful!!!

Sweet Potato Praline Souffle Recipe courtesy Anne Simms Pincus, New Orleans Famous Praline Company

Recipe Summary
    Yield: 12 servings
    User Rating:

6 pounds sweet potatoes
    1 tablespoon cane syrup
    1/3 cup non-fat sweetened condensed milk
    2 sticks butter, softened
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    1/2 orange, juiced
    1 lemon, zested
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
    Pinch ground nutmeg
    1 cup raisins
    2 cups pecans, chopped
    8 ounces (about 6) large pralines, broken
    Italian Meringue, recipe above

Bake sweet potatoes in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour until fork tender. Remove peels. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine potatoes, cane syrup, condensed milk, butter and brown sugar. Add the orange juice, lemon zest and juice. Blend thoroughly with the paddle attachment until smooth. Sprinkle in the cinnamon sugar, nutmeg, raisins and pecans. Finally, remove the bowl from the mixer and add the pralines; fold gently through the mixture.
    Transfer mixture to a 2 1/2 quart glass baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Top with meringue. Return to oven and broil 7 minutes until the meringue is golden brown.

False
    Wait till the egg whites are frothy then add the sugar a little at a time while beating.Be sure all is well mixed in.Then COVER the pie to the crust edges[crust and all].I also find that the cornstarch recipes hold up better but have a slightly different flavor. Pat
    False
    Rhonda-

So when you make the meringue, what temperature do you cook the sugar to? One degree off can make a big difference I know so I'm just wondering how it can say 235-240 degrees and it be accurate. I will definitely try it.

Thanks
    False
    I think in this case, the idea is just to have it at the "soft ball" stage, or whatever the recipe says, which is that range of temperature, so the precise degree isn't as critical. This is the only meringue I've ever made (was always scared of it!!), and I've had great success with it, even my first time. According to Tyler, a "proper" meringue should not budge from the mixing bowl when the bowl is turned upside down~that's how you know it is "right". Also, to make superfine sugar (not available in my stores), I just process my sugar in the blender for a few seconds. Hope this helps!
    False