Why do my Chocolate Chip cookies always trun out melted and flat as a pancake? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why do my Chocolate Chip cookies always trun out melted and flat as a pancake?

Last post Nov 24, 2004 11:26 AM by lilpilgrim . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Why do my Chocolate Chip cookies always trun out melted and flat as a pancake?
    I wish I knew what I was doing wrong. I used to make these perfect and now I can't. I have even changed the kind of butter I use and bought new pans.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    False
  • RE: Why do my Chocolate Chip cookies always trun out melted and flat as a pancake?
    I always add about 1/4 cup more flour to the mix, that seems to help. I also try to use the butter no warmer than room temp.
    False
  • RE: Why do my Chocolate Chip cookies always trun out melted and flat as a pancake?
    I always cut the butter by 2 tbsp and add in 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour. Mine turn out thick and nice looking.
    False
    You recipe needs a little more flour. Next time you make you chocolate chip cookie recipe....Just bake one test cookie and if it comes out flat add a little more flour to the dough......Just a little more (2 -3 Tablespoons), because if you add too much it will be lumps of cookie....
    False

In my opinion, if you have airbake pans, don't use them for cookies. Cookies need to bake from the top and bottom, and airbaked cookies don't get enough heat from the bottom. Also, don't use margarine or spread with a high water content. Use butter or butter-flavored vegetable shortening. What type of cookie are you going for? Puffy; chewy; crispy?
    False
    Are you using all butter? I find that my cookies come out better if I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 butter flavored Crisco.

Nell
    False
    Maybe it's just the recipe. Here is my favorite recipe for Chocolate chip cookies. Always a hit, never flat, or run. Perfect, and moist
    Award Winning Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies ( allrecipes.com)

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 cups butter, softened
    1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix (or any other flavor)
    4 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    4 cups semisweet chocolate chips ( i used half semisweet and half milk chocolate)
    2 cups chopped pecans

Directions
    1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift
    together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
    2 In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown
    sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until
    blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour
    mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop
    cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Batter will be thick
    3 Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges
    should be golden brown.

Tina
    False
    forgot to say I half the this recipe. I've posted it before and got lots of good review on it. Also, make sure you use instant pudding- it does make a difference.
    Tina
    False
    If you are using margarine, make sure that it has at least 80% fat. Some margarines are called spreads and they contain too much water to make a successful cookie. I generaly use 1/2 margarine and 1/2 crisco.

False
    I also use the recipe on the Butter Flavor Crisco can and they are very good, last time I used choc. chunks and thought they were even better. Also, I use the Irresistable Peanut Butter Cookie recipe on the Crisco can Both excellent recipes.
    False
    I also use the recipe on the Butter Flavor Crisco can and they are very good, last time I used choc. chunks and thought they were even better. Also, I use the Irresistable Peanut Butter Cookie recipe on the Crisco can Both excellent recipes.
    False
    Thanks so much for all the advice, I am going to try making them again this weekend.
    False
    I had the same problem as well, however my problem was that I was not letting the cookie sheets cool off before filling them up again with the cookie dough. Once I started letting them cool completely - everything was just fine.
    False