Recipe for Browning a Turkey in a Roaster Oven for the Next Time | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipe for Browning a Turkey in a Roaster Oven for the Next Time

Last post Nov 27, 2004 9:19 PM by pe43sto . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Recipe for Browning a Turkey in a Roaster Oven for the Next Time
    Turkey Browning Recipe

1&1/2 teaspoons browning sauce
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
    1 teaspoon paprika

1. Before putting turkey into oven: Rinse entire turkey with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.

2. Combine browning sauce, butter, and paprika. Brush onto uncooked turkey, "painting" entire bird.

3. If you do not have a basting brush, place your hand inside a plastic storage bag and smear the sauce over the bird.

4. Cook according to instructions.

False
  • RE: Recipe for Browning a Turkey in a Roaster Oven for the Next Time
    Quick Roast Turkey

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

The roaster oven cooks a turkey in half the time of a regular oven, but use a meat thermometer to make sure your turkey is thoroughly cooked. The roaster oven does NOT brown a turkey. The constant dripping of condensation from the cover of the roaster oven prevents the turkey from browning. Use the roaster oven if you plan to serve the turkey sliced, rather than presenting the whole turkey at the dinner table.

14-15 pound turkey, fresh or totally thawed
    1 onion, peeled and cut in half
    1 stalk celery
    Salt and pepper

1. Remove the rack. Pour 1/2 cup water into the insert pan, cover and preheat to 325 degrees.

2. Remove giblets and neck from cavities of turkey. Set aside and use for giblet gravy. Rinse bird inside and out with cold water.

3. Place onion and celery inside turkey. Rub outside with salt and pepper. Place on rack. Brush whole turkey with butter.

4. Place in roaster and cook 1&1/2 to 2 hours. Check meat thermometer reading. Turkey is done when thermometer registers 180 degrees.

Success Tip:
    Always thaw a frozen turkey in the refrigerator, not at room temperature. A 12-15 pound frozen turkey will take 2-3 days to thaw in the refrigerator. If pressed for time, this size turkey can be thawed in cold water in 6-9 hours. Be sure to change the water often.
    Substitution:
    Brush vegetable or olive oil instead of butter on the turkey, if desired.

Turkey Browning Recipe

1&1/2 teaspoons browning sauce
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
    1 teaspoon paprika

1. Before putting turkey into oven: Rinse entire turkey with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.

2. Combine browning sauce, butter, and paprika. Brush onto uncooked turkey, "painting" entire bird.

3. If you do not have a basting brush, place your hand inside a plastic storage bag and smear the sauce over the bird.

4. Cook according to instructions.

False
    bumping for next time! :)
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    Do you make your turkey this way?
    Could you give us a review?
    thanks,
    ;-) deb
    False
    No, I have not used this browning method. I was just posting for people looking for a brown turkey made in a roaster.

I do use a roaster. I put 4 turkey legs in the bottom of the roaster pan so that I can put my turkey in the pan breast side down. I hate dry breast meat. This way the breast stays in the drippings the complete cooking time.

I did not do much to my turkey but it was sure good. I buttered the complete turkey inside and out. I seasoned the complete turkey with Morton's Nature's Seasons' Seasoning Blend. I then put a hand full of fresh garni (sage, rosemary & thyme) inside the cavity along with a whole bulb of garlic cut in half with 1 stick of butter. Set it in a roaster for 3 hours and didn't peek. MMMMMM

It just fell apart but I was able to take the complete breast out debone it and make nice big slices.

I cooked it a little longer than requied but I wanted it this way.

I hope you enjoy.

Boe
    False
    I tried using the Kitchen Bouquet this year and it did make it browner. I was pleased with how it looked.
    False
    Very good tip Moms.

Boe
    False
    I just bought a roaster and did't know how to cook the turkey in it. So I'll be using this recipe. I'm making my dinner on Sunday. I have one question? I have a 10 pound turkey. How long should it cook? I was going to cook it as long as an oven would, but after reading this I see that it cooks in a short time. Thank you for being helpfull.
    Debbie
    False
    The directions with my Nesco Roaster say for a 10lb.prebasted Turkey to cook it for 12-17 min per lb.For a whole fresh Turkey,cook it for 15-20 min per lb.The roasters may vary so check your didections with yours but I have to preheat mine to 400' for 20 min first,then cook the first hour at 400',then decrease to 350' then the last hour 400' again.I have NEVER been able to brown them in the roaster and always put them in the oven to brown for about 30 min at 400' but will try the sauce recipe next time.Pat
    False
    A 10 pounder should cook in under two hours. The nice thing about the roaster, if it gets done too quickly, just crank it down to keep the turkey from overcooking, yet it will stay nice and warm until you are ready to serve.
    False
    My roaster says to cook turkey at 325 degrees all the way. I also put in a cup of broth, wine or water when I start.

I also do not preheat, I put the turkey in add the broth, then turn on the roaster. (I don't get burned that way.) I leave it alone and do not lift the lid. You do not have to worry about basting because the moisture drips off the lid.

In the ten pound case I would check it at an hour and half.

I hope yours turns out great.

Boe
    False
    bump
    False