Ft. Worth Fruitcake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ft. Worth Fruitcake

Last post Nov 28, 2004 5:35 PM by Goldybear . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Ft. Worth Fruitcake
    I'm weird, i know, but i LIKE fruitcake. This is the one i'm going to make this year. Notice it isn't heavy with spices. This recipe was highlighted in Southern Living years ago saying Marty Aronowitz has made these fruitcakes for the past 34 yrs. and they are famous and much sought after all around Ft. Worth.

Ft. Worth Fruitcake
    by Marty Aronowitz

1 lb. pitted dates, chopped
    1 lb. pecans, chopped
    1/4 lb. red candied cherries, chopped
    1/4 lb. green candied cherries, chopped
    1/2 lb. candied sliced pineapple, chopped
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. salt
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp. vanilla

Combine dates, pecans, cherries and pineapple in a large mixing bowl;set aside. Combine dry ingredients; add to fruit mixture, stirring well. Stir in eggs and vanilla.
    Spoon batter into a greased and brown paper-lined 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 250 degrees for 2 hours or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake completely in pan. Remove from pan and remove brown paper.
    Note: Cake can also be baked in 2 greased and brown-paper lined 8 in. loaf pans at 250 degrees for 1 hr. and 20 min. or until inserted wooden toothpick comes out clean.
    False
  • RE: Ft. Worth Fruitcake
    Thanks for sharing this recipe, I also love fruit cake and always makeo ne for Xmas, like to try new recipes. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

Thanks for posting Goldybear!
    I LOVE Fruitcake also!!!
    Have a good one!
    Jackie
    False
    I too love fruitcake but haven't found one that I really go crazy over in the stores. Years and years ago one of my cousins had sold fruitcakes, from a company in Texas, to raise funds for the wrestling team. I haven't found a fruitcake since that compares with those. I don't remember the name of the company. I wish I could find those again. They were so moist and very tasty. I will definetly try this recipe and if it's really good maybe I'll add it to my dessert shop menu for the hoildays.
    Charlene
    False
    Goldybear, thanks for sharing this recipe. I think I will try this one this year. I really do like fruitcake,but haven't had the best of luck baking one. I usually make the one that my dear Mom made for years. I has date, nuts, pecans and candy orange slices, no other candied fruit.

Hugs to all you fruitcakes, oops, I mean fruitcake lovers out there.

Nell
    False
    Hey Nell!
    Your fruitcake recipe with Orange slices sounds yummy! Could you maybe post the recipe? Please??? With sugar on top????

Jackie
    False
    Charlene.......I think you might be talking about the fruitcakes from Corsicana, TX.....The Collin St. Bakery. You can go their website of the same name and order.....they are famous all over the world.....I don't typically like fruitcakes...but these are the best I have ever had!! Good Luck!!!
    False
    I agree with TexasHeart...the Collin Street ones are the BEST...which is why i usually don't make my own...but i have a surplus of candied fruit that can't stay in the freezer much longer...thought this recipe sounded more like the Collin Street ones as it has less spice....You don't want to know how many carbs are in a slice of fruitcake though! Glad to hear there are other "weirdos" out there who like fruitcake too! Happy Holidays! G
    False