Wonder Roast Chicken | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Wonder Roast Chicken

Last post Apr 25, 2011 6:50 PM by dodgedriver202 . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Wonder Roast Chicken
    Our local Grocery Store sells Wonder Roast Chickens. They are cooked at the store in a rotisserie oven. They taste so good and are very tender. Does anyone know what they use to season them? Thanks for any info.
    False
  • RE: Wonder Roast Chicken
    DH says my roasted chicken is a 9 out of 10 compared to the grocery store ones....I clean a chicken, sprinkle seasoned salt or Lady in Red seasoning on it (don't forget the armpits!). I line a pan w/foil (Release foil is really nice to use!) and bake about 2-2 1/2 hours at 325º. I usually do 4 chickens at once. With 2 teenage boys and DH in the house...there aren't any leftovers! You can use whatever your favorite flavor is...good luck...give a try!
    False
    I like the rotisserie chicken from Sam's club. One day I asked the lady what they use for seasoning and she told me that the chickens came to them with the seasoning already on them - she showed me and it looked like a thick paste that was rubbed on. Maybe your grocery store does the same thing
    False
    McCormick's makes a Rotisserie Chicken seasoning that is very close to the flavor of chickens that I've bought a various grocery store delis.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    This is what I put on my chickens at home - whether I do them on the rotisserie, on the grill, or as the "sticky roasted chicken". It is a great seasoning mix - a bit spicy - but no one has ever complained.
    Tria

This is the original recipe from Paul Prudhomme.

I think there are several on the site but this is the one I have used for years.

Mother's Sticky Roasted Chicken

2 tsp. salt; 1 tsp. paprika; 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper;1/2 tsp. onion powder;1/4 tsp. garlic powder;1/2 tsp. thyme; 1/4 tsp. black powder (use freshly ground for real flavor)
    1/4 tsp. white pepper
    1 cup chopped onions (can leave out)
    3 lb. chicken - I use a fryer
    double or triple amounts for large Turkey breast or turkey)

Combine seasoning ingredients well in bowl and rub mixture into chicken skin - and a little inside cavity. Your hands will be very messy!
    Place in sealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnite or at least 6 hrs. When ready to roast - stuff cavity w/ onions if desired.
    Roast uncovered at 250 degrees for about 5 hours - baste occasionally w/ pan juices. I use a rack in a large pan and sometimes do several at a time. I have also used my gas grill on lowest temp. for about the same amount of time. You cannot believe how juicy and tasty this is.
    These ingredients are just enough for one chicken.
    I have multiplied this seasoning and always have some on hand to use as a substitute for seasoning salt. I don't like the commercial seasoning as it has msg in it.
    One year I made a huge bowl/bag of it and put it in individual spice jars w/ a pretty ribbon on it and attached a recipe for the chicken, and gave it as Christmas favors for people who dropped by. I even had people call me and ask me for a refill! This was just before "rubs" became so popular.
    Tria
    False
    Tria
  • Re: Wonder Roast Chicken

i know what they use. i worked at the local shurfine store and we sold the wonder roast chickens. it is a complete package deal that you make with the wonder roast company. they supply the seasoning and the trays and the bags that you put them in along with all the advertiseing signs. it is a very exspensive seasoning. that you can only buy direct from the wonder roast company . it is a sprinkle on seasoning mix that you put 2 table spoonfull's inside the chicken and then spinkle a good layer of it on the outside of the chicken.

False

transmaniadevil

i know what they use. i worked at the local shurfine store and we sold the wonder roast chickens. it is a complete package deal that you make with the wonder roast company. they supply the seasoning and the trays and the bags that you put them in along with all the advertiseing signs. it is a very exspensive seasoning. that you can only buy direct from the wonder roast company . it is a sprinkle on seasoning mix that you put 2 table spoonfull's inside the chicken and then spinkle a good layer of it on the outside of the chicken.

That is what they told me @ my local supermarket too!! I get a Wonder Roast about every other week or more!!! Love them!!! Ours are $4.99 most of the time...When on sale, they are $3.99...What a deal!!!! I usually get them on Tuesdays!!!! Not tonight tho....

False

This is an old post but sounds good.

One might try contacting this company. They have the seasoning listed.

http://www.coolspringsspice.com/backup/index.htm

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I would definitely brine the chicken before roasting. Many years ago, we had an italian roasted chicken recipe--basically rubbed the bird with olive oil, stuffed with garlic and rosemary, and rubbed dry garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper on the outside. The key to a good skin and tender breast meat was cooking it for 20-25 min on each side, then breast side up for the final time 30-45 min or until done. The bird looks funny to serve whole (legs sticking out like he's getting ready to jump), but boy are they good. I've done turkey this way and other than looking funny, I get the most succulent breast meat and well cooked dark meat.
    False

Do you know where to buy the seasoning? My local store doesn't sell the chicken anymore.  I have been looking for the seasoning for a long time.

False

They use Lawry's Seasoning salt.

False

• Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 25 2006
    • Posts 14,531
    • Field Editor - TOH

Re: Wonder Roast Chicken

zbep55
    Do you know where to buy the seasoning

This is an old post but sounds good.

One might try contacting this company. They have the seasoning listed.

http://www.coolspringsspice.com/backup/index.htm

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Hmmm.....I'm going to be by Wabeno tomorrow!  Since you've made me hungry for chicken, I'll stop and buy one for supper so I don't have to cook when I get back to Shawano!

Thanks! 

False
  • Re: RE: Wonder Roast Chicken

Tria,

YesMade up this rub & tried on chicken pieces,really is delicious,thanks,

Wattle Paradise

False

Wattle Paradise

I love these chickens too , after a coupple days of messin around , i nailed the seasoning recipie and its very simple .....Adam Wells's  wonder roast copy  :    3 parts salt 1 part chipotle pepper 1/2 part onion powder  ...i use a tablespoon when i make it , and it makes enough to do one whole chicken ...make sure to use a rotisserie when cooking the chicken for that true wonder roast taste !!  ...i bet the company uses msg in theirs ,but its not needed at all , this recipie is dead on , enjoy !! 

False