Christmas Goodie Tray - what do you include? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Christmas Goodie Tray - what do you include?

Last post Dec 08, 2012 4:18 PM by Rose51 . 157 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 5 of 11 (158 items) < First34567Last >
  • RE: Christmas Goodie Tray - what do you include?
    last year i had to wait until dec. 20 to do my baking since my DH works overseas and was not home until the next day. also our two DS's were working offshore. this year everyone should be home earlier so i will do it earlier. the sooner we can enjoy those sweets the better. LOL but thanks for your condolences on our little dog. he was so precious. with my DH being gone a month at a time, little bobo was my baby. now i have a little schnauzer named maggie and she is spoiled rotten. she thinks she's a little baby.
    False
    ocean k1, I saw your recipe for the easy turtles. A friend showed me some short cuts that have realy helped me. First, chop your pecans and put them on a cookie sheet next, place your caramel on top leaving enough room for them to spread some. Put this in your 200 degree oven just until caramel starts to melt then remove them to waxed paper to cool. While those are cooling you can refill your cookie sheet with more caramels (you should still have plenty of chopped pecans left on the cookie sheet). The other thing my friend did was to put her dipping chocolate in a plastic squeeze container (like catsup or mustard containers from diners) and then just squirted the chocolate on each turtle. When the chocolate would start to harden, she would just pop the squeeze bottle in the micro-wave.
    False
    I love Christmas baking!! At the end of November I do all my ingredient shopping, then turn on the Christmas music and start baking. I give most of it away to friends, school staff, neighbours etc...
    Here is a list of some of the things I put on my trays:

Fudge Bonbon Cookies
    Christmas Sandwich Cremes
    Peanut Butter Turtle Bars
    Toffee Nut Bars
    Pecan Tarts
    Soft White Cookies
    Soft Chocolate cookies
    Sugar Cookies
    Cream Cheese Tarts
    Peanut Butter Rosebud Cookies
    Sweet Marie Balls
    Gingerbread Men
    Strawberry Crescents
    Millionaire shortbread
    Mrs. Larson's Bars
    Butter Balls
    Fudge (poured into tiny liners)
    Buttersctoch Nut Bars
    Chocolate and Almond Bars
    Chocolate Caramel Raspberry Bars
    Chocolate Chip Walnut Bars
    Chocolate Butterscotch Almond Crunch
    These recipes I got from this BB last year:
    Classic Cherry Butter Cookies (Kathyf)
    Oreo Balls (???)
    Cookie Dough Truffles (Maddymoo)
    Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Round (Candykisses)
    False
    I usually do peanut brittle, fudge, 7 layer cookies, peanut blossoms, and then other cookies change each year. I did these one year, and boy are they wonderful! They're from a book called Great Cookies You Can Bake; they are unlike any cookie I've ever made before. They were the biggest hit that year. They came out almost like a lace cookie, with that wonderful peppermint flavor and rich butter/brown sugar base...YUM. I'll put the rest of the recipes on also.

Amy

Peppermint Crunch Cookies

1/2 C. unsalted butter, softened
    1/3 C. dark brown sugar, firmly packed
    1/3 C. sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 t. peppermint extract
    1 C. plus 2 T. sifted flour
    1/2 t. baking soda
    1/2 t. salt
    1 C. walnuts, coarsely chopped (I think I left these out)
    1 1/2 C. coarsely crushed peppermint candy canes (I used round peppermint candies)

Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly grease two large baking sheets with butter or vegetable shortening.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Beat in the egg and peppermint extract. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the batter. Stir in the chopped walnuts and candy canes.

Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of batter onto the baking sheets, about 2" apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are brown. Remove from the oven.

After the cookies have cooled for 2-3 minutes, but are still warm to the touch, use a spatula to transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.

The Easiest Fudge in the World!

1 bag chocolate chips
    1 can chocolate frosting
    1 t. vanilla

Melt all ingredients together in medium saucepan over medium high heat until well combined and smooth. Pour into greased 9" square pan and cool completely. You can refrigerate to help set. You can add nuts as desired, and change flavors with different frosting/chip combos!

False

Peanut Brittle:

2 C. Sugar
    1 C. lite corn syrup
    Boil together to hard crack stage or 300°

Remove from heat, and add:

1 T. butter
    1 t. baking soda

It will foam a lot at this point. Stir in 1 1/2 C. peanuts and spread on a greased metal cookie sheet. Let cool, and break apart. Will keep with waxed paper between layers in air tight container up to 3 months.

**Prepare a metal spatula by buttering it thoroughly and use this to spread the brittle evenly on pan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seven Layer Cookies

1 Stick Butter or Margarine
    1C. Graham Cracker Crumbs
    1C. coconut
    1C. Chocolate Chips
    1C. butterscotch Chips
    1C. Chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
    1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)

Melt butter and combine with graham cracker crumbs. Spread in the bottom of a 9x13 or 9" square baking dish. (I use the 9x13, cuz these are SO rich). Layer one half cup of each ingredient except condensed milk, in order. Repeat layer. Drizzle condensed milk evenly over top. Bake at 375 25-30 minutes, or til golden brown and cookies are set.
    Cool, and cut.
    False

I found this post from tabbie. Can this be the recipe zahariuk is talking about...Marshmallow Krispie Balls?

Marshmellow Toffee Balls

3 regular size toffee bars or about 30 caramels
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 tin eagle brand milk
    package large marshmellows
    rice krispies,crushed nuts or coconut
    Blend toffee bars or(caramels),eagle
    brand milk and butter in saucepan over
    low heat,stirring until melted and
    creamy.Dip marshmellows in caramel
    mixture.Dip in rice krispies,crushed
    nuts or coconut.Put on parshment lined
    cookie sheet.Put in refrigerator to
    set.When set store in refrigerator.

This is the one i have,don't know
    if it is what you are looking for.
    Those are delicious.
    False
    I always make up a bunch of small loaves of the Stirring Fruit Cake. These freeze really well too.
    False
    dowie,please;would love to have a few of your recipes.
    1-Christmas Sandwich Creams
    2-Sweet Marie Bars
    3-Fudge poured into tiny liners
    If it is not too much trouble would
    you please post them for me.TIA.-Tabbie
    False
    bump
    False
    bump
    False
    I haven't looked at everyone else's answers yet, but I will. I am big into chocolate and everyone knows it so I put a combination of the following:

chocolate covered oreos
    truffles
    chocolate dipped pretzles
    chocolate covered cherries
    chocolate dipped nuts

I know there are others but I can't come up with them right now.
    False
    Now that I have read everyone else's it reminded me of some other things I do. So, my list should include:

peppermint patties
    almond joys
    buckeyes
    turtles
    stained glass
    choc dipped candy canes
    False
    I have been really busy and haven't been on much the last week and boy have I missed alot!! This is an awesome post with so many GREAT ideas. Did I miss the EGG NOG BREAD Recipe?? Would love to try that one too!

Christi
    False
    Never mind, never mind...I found it on a separate post! Thanks cinimama!

Christi
    False
    Tabbie - I posted the recipes you wanted on a separate thread for you, "Recipes for Tabbie".
    False