where do I find almond paste? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

where do I find almond paste?

Last post Dec 10, 2004 12:46 PM by ButterflyMaiden . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • where do I find almond paste?
    Do you know of any stores that sell it, and what section of the store should I try looking in? Thanks for the help, Amy
    False
  • RE: where do I find almond paste?
    You should be able to find it in the baking section at the grocery. In my local Kroger, it's by the baking chocolate.
    False
    Okay thank you. I live in a small town, and all we have is a small store and a SuperWalmart, so I might have to go out of town to find some. I know the Walmart doesn't have a bunch of specialty stuff, and the regular grocery store, well, they just don't have much. lol. Thank you, I'll know where to look now. Amy
    False
    I know there are recipes to make your own but I haven't got a recipe. I know you have to pulverize blanched almonds and do something with them. I am sure either this search or google or something can find something if you want to save yourself a trip. Marlene
    False
    Amy, I know D&W carries it. It is made by the same company that makes the canned poppy seed filling that comes in the blue and white can. (I can't think of there name right now.) I would bet that SuperWalMart would have it. I have seen it in the baking section of some of the smallest grocery stores.

What are you making?
    False
    I just checked in the search and found a recipe to make your own.

Rec Homemade Almond Paste
    Posted by: smoova Replies: 8 Posted on: 12/3/2002 3:14:56 PM
    #T111867
    Old Fashioned Homemade Almond Paste

Yield: 2 Pounds

1 lb Blanched almonds
    3 tb Fresh lemon juice
    1 c Water
    2 c Sugar

Force blanched almonds through fine blade of food
    chopper 4 times, or whirl in electric blender.

Add lemon juice.

Cook water and sugar until candy thermometer
    registers 240F or until it forms the soft ball stage.

Add to ground almonds. Mix well.

When cool enough to handle, knead until smooth.

Cool.

Pack in jar; cover, and store in refrigerator
    for at least 1 week to ripen.

Makes about 2 pounds.

**NOTE** If almond paste is too stiff to handle
    after storage, place in top part of double boiler
    and heat over hot, not boiling, water until
    sufficiently soft to handle.

Use in cookies, coffee cakes or in other pastries and
    desserts.
    Sounded good and I remember loosenut saying he paid a fortune for some so I thought I would post this for everyone

Marlene
    False
    CQ,
    I'm going to try a cookie recipe I saw on tv this week. lol. Maybe if I find it that is. I just got back and I didn't find any at SuperWalmart or my grocery store. I even asked the manager of the grocery store and he just looked at me like I was nuts. I'm going to run up to Meijers later to see if I can find it there. Our D&W went out of business the other month.

QueenieTwo, thanks for looking up the recipe for it. lol. I'll give it a go if I can't find it already made.

Everyone, thanks for the tips and ideas. I really appreciate it. Amy
    False
    Amy: There are Dutch stores in the GR area which you can buy large cans (they may have smaller amounts, too). OR the next time you are in town you can purchase almond paste at most local GR grocery stores by the cheese.
    False

dutchmom,

Thanks for the tip. I'm having so much trouble sleeping lately that I'm exhausted today and probably won't do anything until tomorrow, and then tomorrow I think I'll head down to the Meijers there on Alpine.

I knew there was a Mexican store down there (I stock up on tortillas when I tag along with my best friend and go), but I had no idea there were Dutch stores too. That's a small town girl for you. lol.....

I only need about a cup's worth, and I think it's going to be an adventure for me finding it, so that recipe better be worth it! LOL!!!

Thanks Dutchmom! Amy

False