Question: how long to let noodles dry & when can i cook em | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question: how long to let noodles dry & when can i cook em

Last post Jan 21, 2007 7:42 PM by Alliea . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Question: how long to let noodles dry & when can i cook em
    I have a pretty simple recipe for homemade noodles. It cantains eggs. It says to let dry some before attempting to cut, then let dry some more after cutting. How long can they take to dry out with egg in them. Is it safe to let them just air dry with egg in them. I thought egg products at room temp could make you sick. Also can I cook them before they dry out completely?

Thanks for all your help, Brad
    False
  • RE: Question: how long to let noodles dry & when can i cook em
    Brad, I remember my grandmother making her noodles early in the morning, and then letting them hang on rods all day before she cooked them ... nobody ever got sick! Mine don't dry for very long but only because I don't get around to making them until it's almost dinner time! lol

Good luck
    Charli
    False
    Charli, thanks. Then it is OK to cook them before they dry completely?

Brad
    False
    I do it all the time .... and my DS seems to prefer them that way! lol

They'll be fine!

Charli
    False
    I usually never let mine dry-After I get them made I flour my board real good, roll thin then flour the surface of the rolled out piece a little and roll up like a jelly roll, slice that, unroll and I usually just have my broth hot and cook them then. I might dry them for 1/2 to l hr but only because I am doing other things, I like them cooked when fresh better than drying for long periods.
    False
    Thanks for the feedback. I know now that I did not roll them thin enough nor cut them thin enough. I cooked them and man you should see the size of the noodles. LOL. My DD said she could make small sandwiches with them after they cooked. Cooked them in swanson chicken broth and they taste great. I am learning ladies. LOL.

Thanks again, Brad
    False
    Gracious! Brad, sounds like yours turned out just the way my DS likes them!

False
    I never ever let my egg noodles dry, it is the same recipe I use for my chicken and dumplings, my families favorite. I make mine with flour, salt, water, an egg and egg yolks, or if I don't use water, use broth that has cooled so it won't cook the eggs. Is that the same sort of recipe you use? What are u making anyway? Wanna share the recipe with us, or have us come and do the sampling? I also use a pizza cutter to cut my noodles, make fast of the work. *smiles* Connie
    False
    My mother used to make the most wonderful homemade noodles. She never let them dry. She just unrolled them and put them in boiling broth. They were sooooo good.
    False
    We have a local restaurant that has wonderful chicken & noodles or beef & noodles both made with homemade noodles. The owner told me that she never lets the noodles dry. She rolls them a bit thicker then my Grandma did but boy are they ever good. Reminds me so much of my Grandma's. Carol
    False

Carol

I usually make mine in the morning and don't cook them until the evening. They dry all day. I have made them the night before and cooked the next day. My recipe uses a whole egg. I also make them, let them dry and then freeze for later use.

Debbie
    False

Sometimes my noodles are sort of tough. What am I doing wrong. How long do you leave the noodles in the pot after you put them in?
    I would love to make good chicken and noodles. thanks helen
    False
    It is cold and blowing here today and you are all welcome to come and try my homemade noodles. But, I will have to make more because my 2 DD ate all that I made yesterday. Boy wee they fat! The noodles I mean. LOL.
    I got the recipe off of this board. When I printed it out it did not print the name. Here is what it said. "Here is the recipe I have used for years. It's the way Mom made them."
    1 egg--beaten
    1 tablespoon water
    1 teaspooon salt
    flour

I used less than a cup of flour.
    Thanks for all your replies and suggestions and help. I use this site only, and use it to teach my daughters how to cook. And me to. LOL

Thanks, Brad
    False
    bump
    False
    Personally, I let them dry until I am ready to cook them which is usually right away but several hours is okay. Roll them up 'jelly roll' fashion, then cut them in about 1/4 in wide strips & toss them so they do not stick together & are unrolled. You can then cook them or freeze in an airtight container in the portion size that is convenient until you are ready to use/cook them.
    False