Can I easily turn a yellow cake mix into marble? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I easily turn a yellow cake mix into marble?

Last post Dec 25, 2011 10:35 PM by Tomcatlover . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Can I easily turn a yellow cake mix into marble?
    I was thinking that once I mix the cake mix up I could take out some batter and add some cocoa powder to it? Do you think that would work? Any other ideas?
    False
  • RE: Can I easily turn a yellow cake mix into marble?
    I think I'd divide the dry mix in half first, then add the cocoa to the dry mix, then go ahead and mix up each half separately. I think it'll be fine; I was just thinking that the dry cocoa powder might be hard to get evenly incorporated once the batter is mixed? Although, I guess you do that with a from scratch marble cake, huh? Heck, what do I know, CQ :)

I do think it would be fine, though.

Amy
    False

Amy, I had thought about that too, but most cakes call for 3 eggs. How do I divide that right? My big thing is I have yellow cake mix and don't want to have to buy another one.
    False
    I do this often..just make the cake batter as usual...set aside about 1 C. of the batter. Put rest in pan..to the reserved batter add 1/4 C. cocoa powder. Mix till blended then dollop atop your batter in the pan and take a knife to swirl gently and not tooooo much!
    False
    The eggs are the hard part! But, it looks like it'll work the way you originally thought! Good!!

Amy
    False

I do mine just like Spa does hers add in some cocoa to about a cup of the batter and swirl it right in after you pour the yellow batter in the pan, carefully swirl the chocolate around in the yellow, dropping here and there a bit of batter, careful to not scrape the bottom of the baking pan.

It will be yummy.
    False
    If you have chocolate syrup on hand you can use that to make your reserved cup of batter into chocolate for marbling.
    False

...how much chocolate syrup?

False

I've made a Peppermint Ribbon Cake, when it is baked, it has a red "ribbon" swirling through it. You make the cake mix like regular, then take out 1 cup in a small bowl. In the small bowl, I added red food color and peppermint extract (since it was a peppermint ribbon in it). I'm sure that is the best way to make any cake mix "marbled". Just add about a tablespoon or two of chocolate syrup, to the small bowl (stir well). Pour little batter on top of the regular batter, and swirl in with the rest of the batter when in the pan. Bake normal. Hope this helps.Smile

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!