Can Baklava be frozen after it has been made? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can Baklava be frozen after it has been made?

Last post Apr 03, 2009 7:15 PM by starlighto4u . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Can Baklava be frozen after it has been made?
    I want to make some this weekend but want to be able to freeze it.
    False
  • RE: Can Baklava be frozen after it has been made?
    I would like to know this too. I'd love to make some but it is too much to eat at once. Anyone out there frozen this? Linda
    False
    I searched awhile online and only found this one reference to storing it:

"Baklava will keep without refrigeration for a few days. If storing for a longer period, cover it with plastic before storing in the refrigerator. Allow to reach room temperature before serving."

I would be leery of freezing it, but I think it would last awhile in the fridge. It only gets better with time.
    False

BAKLAVA BITES

1. Purchase a package of phyllo dough. Your local grocery will probably have it in the freezer section, or get it at a Greek bakery.

2. Melt a stick of butter (the original Armenian recipe calls for clarified butter, but whole butter works just fine for this) and get out a pastry brush.

3. Chop some nuts. Walnuts, almonds, pecans, or a mix of these are good. You'll need about one tablespoon of nuts for each baklava.

4. Remove the phyllo from the package, unroll it, and cover with a damp (not wet) towel. It is essential to cover it or it will dry out.

5. Take one sheet of phyllo dough and place it on a flat surface. Working quickly (because the dough will dry out), spread melted butter all over the sheet. Fold the sheet in half to maintain the length of the long side. Spread melted butter again and fold, again maintaining the length of the long side. Spread melted butter a third time on top.

6. At the end nearest you, imagine you are folding the right corner up and to the left o make a triangle. In that space that would be folded over, place one tablespoon of nuts and one teaspoon of honey. Fold the right corner over to make a triangle, then fold along the square edge, then triangle, and on and on, like you are folding a flag.

7. Place on a cookie sheet, with the end of the pastry on the underside, to hold it down. Spread melted butter on the top.

8. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven about 10 -15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately.

Because each baklava is individual, you can make these ahead, and freeze them. Then you can warm them up fresh one at a time instead of making a whole tray of baklava, which might be more than you want to eat...
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    Thanks Cubbybear. Great idea!
    False
  • Re: Can Baklava be frozen after it has been made?

Baklava.com says: 

We recommend that our pastries be stored at room temperature in an air tight container.  They should last for weeks in relatively fair condition.  You'll notice that the pastries will become more chewy/juicy as time goes on.  Eventually, they'll begin to dry out which is generally an indication that their nearing
    shelf-life.

You may choose to refrigerate your pastries. 
    This will make them hard and chewy but will extend the shelf-life.

Finally, freezing is another alternative.  Simply set at room temperature until pastries thaw and serve.

I am a school teacher, got some baklava before Christmas break, forgot a piece in a non-airtight box in my desk drawer. When I got back nearly 2 weeks later it was GOOD!!

False