How do I make shredded turkey? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do I make shredded turkey?

Last post Jan 02, 2011 2:12 PM by countrygurl29 . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • How do I make shredded turkey?
    I want to make shredded turkey sandwiches for x-mas. I would roast the turkey and shred. Then what do I mix in with it. Would it be can turkey gravy or soup or what? Thanks.
    False
  • RE: How do I make shredded turkey?
    If you are going the shredded turkey route, I would think BBQ sauce; if you are talking sliced turkey, I would think of making hot turkey sandwoiches using turkey gravy.

doris
    False
    I like the BBQ sauce route, but you could also do turkey salad. Make it like basic chicken salad, mayo or salad dressing, a little celery, salt/pepper. A few more ingredients (diced apple, grapes & walnuts/pecans) and you'd have Turkey Waldorf Salad.
    :)
    False
    For sandwiches I'd mix Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip plus a little chopped celery or chopped water chestnuts for a bit of crunch. Pat
    False
    I made this type of thing for a birthday party earlier this year - I cooked a 15 pound turkey then shredded it. Put it in a Nesco with two cans each of cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, cream of celery soup. OR you can just cover it with jars of turkey gravy. Either way, it's wonderful!
    False
    I have my turkey shredded in the freezer now. We will do the hot turkey sandwiches Sunday for out family get together. I always mix mine with turkey or chicken gravy until nice and moist, pop it in the crockpot and dinner is ready! Its so yummy and I like the fact I can get all the busy work done before hand so I too can enjoy the company. Lisa
    False
    I had planned on having hot turkey sandwiches. I just don't know what ratio of soup or gravy to add to a 18lb turkey. Thanks for the help.
    False
    I cook a turkey breast this way, shred the meat, and use it many ways.

Turkey Breast in a Bag

I got this from my sister. It's one of my favorites. I posted it on the Holiday Recipes board a few years ago.

1 turkey breast
    1¼ c. cider vinegar
    ¼ c. salt (I use less)
    ¼ c. black pepper

Put turkey in a cooking bag. Make a mixture of vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over turkey in bag. Seal bag per directions. Bake at 300º for 5 hours. Shred turkey meat and use shredded meat many ways...turkey salad, sandwiches, in tossed salads or casseroles.

False
  • Re: How do I make shredded turkey?

Am not sure how to go about shredding the turkey.  Got any pointers?

False
  • Re: How do I make shredded turkey?

when i cook my turkey in the roaster i let it cool off for a bit use shred it and put it in a crockpot and add the excess juices from cooking the turkey into the crock pot.. when i make the turkey in the roaster i poke some holes in the turkey with a fork i  use 1 stick of butter and stuff it under the top skin of the turkey and add 2 cans of chicken broth in the roaster some seasoning salt pepper and whatever else you like to season the top of it with and while the turkey cooks i occasionally pour the broth mix over the turkey to keep it nice and moistand then after wards you can always add a ca, jar or a package made mix of turkey or chicken gravy! Wink

False