Sautéed Coleslaw | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Sautéed Coleslaw

Last post Dec 18, 2004 2:01 PM by gaudrey_GA . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Sautéed Coleslaw
    Yes, I know this sounds strange, but actually it is very good. My DH looked at it and took only a small spoonful. After a taste, he went back for a LARGE helping and pronounced it very good.

Sautéed Coleslaw

2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 slices of bacon
    1 pound bag of coleslaw (just cabbage and carrots)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper (I like McCormick's Peppercorn Medley in their grinder jar.)
    Juice of 1 lemon, optional

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Chop bacon and add to the pan. Cook over medium heat until crisp. Remove bits with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Dump in the bag of coleslaw. Cook and stir for about 8 to 10 minutes, until wilted but still crisp. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir iin lemon juice. Place in a serving dish and top with the bacon bits.
    NOTE: The coleslaw I use is called "Old Fashioned Coleslaw with extra Carrots" and just has green cabbage and carrots - no red cabbage. The lemon juice helps keep the color of the cabbage from darkening. If you do use a mixture with red cabbage in it, the lemon juice is needed to keep it from turning blue and fading.
    False
  • RE: Sautéed Coleslaw
    Sounds good to me.
    False
    The name sounds strange but the dish isn't. When I don't feel like chopping cabbage for fried cabbage, I use a package of cole slaw. I put some oil in a large skillet or wok, add the cabbage and stir fry. I season it with salt and add a little water as it cooks. I serve this with tuna patties and boiled potatoes. It's great.
    False
    oh yum. this sounds great. thank you.
    bj
    False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

I like to get a piece of corned beef and simmer it in chicken broth until it is very tender. Then I slice it thin and serve the cabbage with that.
    False