Whitehall Inn Fruit Fritters from Annapolis MD (I didn't always life in New Mexico) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Whitehall Inn Fruit Fritters from Annapolis MD (I didn't always life in New Mexico)

Last post Dec 22, 2004 9:38 PM by minivanmom13612 . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Whitehall Inn Fruit Fritters from Annapolis MD (I didn't always life in New Mexico)
    When I lived in the Chesapeake Bay Region of Maryland we used to drive for hours to the Whitehall restaurant that always served these fruit fritters in place of the usual bread at the beginning of the meal. They were absolutely delicious. They were served in a cast iron skillet and were the highlight of any meal there. The restaurant is no longer there but I was able to find their recipe in a cook book I found at a garage sale and have been using ever since. Especially good for holidays or with roast beef or just about anything you can think of.

FRUIT FRITTERS
    2 cups flour
    1 tbsn. baking powder
    2 1/3 tsnp. sugar
    1 tsnp. salt
    1 egg
    1/2 cup milk
    2 cups fruit*
    powdered sugar
    vegetable oil for frying

Pour oil into heavy skillet or pan to depth of 1 1/2 inches. Heat over medium heat to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, blend dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir in egg, milk and fruit. Mix by hand until batter is smooth and thick (will be fairly stiff). Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil and fry until evely browned. Remove with slotted spoon to drain on paper towels. Dust lightly with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
    *any fruit with strong flavor is good. Particularly blackberries, raspberries, pineapple, or apples. DH favorite is apples with raisins and a tspn. of cinnamon.
    False
  • RE: Whitehall Inn Fruit Fritters from Annapolis MD (I didn't always life in New Mexico)
    Thanks for the recipe. Sounds Yummy!!!
    Julie
    False
  • RE: Whitehall Inn Fruit Fritters from Annapolis MD (I didn't always life in New Mexico)

Are these anything at all like Fried Apple Pies?
    False
    Sort of, kind of, but not really. They are small puffy pillows of dough fried with fruit (and cinnamon if desired throughout). More like a sweet fruity light hush puppie from the South.
    False
    Thank you for sharing this recipe. I copied it and after the holidays plan on trying it. Marie
    False