What makes cookies soft or hard? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What makes cookies soft or hard?

Last post Dec 23, 2004 9:57 AM by cinnamama . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • What makes cookies soft or hard?
    I have been making cookies from the Best of Country Cookies cookbook. So far I have made Chewy Chocolate Chip by Iona Hamilton and Double Chocolate sprinkle cookies by Barb Meinholz. My DH loves soft cookies. Mine usually come out hard. What would make them soft?

Thank you,

Barbara Of Virginia
    False
  • RE: What makes cookies soft or hard?
    More fat. Butter, oil, etc.

Cinbarra puts 1 large box of cook n serve vanilla pudding in her cookies. Just the dry powder. She says it makes them really soft. I think she adds more liquid too.

Jenni
    False
    Another thing is the cooking time. The longer they stay in the oven & on the baking sheet, the more they cook & the harder they get.

for soft cookies, take them out of the oven at the minimum time they say in the recipes. For Example, if it says "bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes" take them out at 10 minutes or shortely after. Then let them sit on the cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes longer. This will finish the baking but not at the high temps.

For things like choc. chip or oatmeal raisin, I bake for the shortest time & check. If they start browning, I take them out. Don't wait for the whole cookie to get lighty browned.

This method has always worked for me. I hope it does for you too.

dawn
    :-)
    False

"Wow, I really regret that workout"  said Nobody Ever

"...know that I will never love anyone like I love you & I am forever altered by who you are and what you mean to me..."

I have a great chocolate chip recipe and an oatmeal raisin recipe that are both soft if you want them let me know.

Debbie
    False
    Have you tried using parchment paper or a silpat sheet?? I have found that using them helps the cookies stay soft too.
    Have a great day.
    False
    If they turn out too hard already, when you put them in a container, add a pc. of bread, and sometimes that softens them, too. Some people use a slice of apple.

Brenda
    False
    Cinnamom I would like to have the recipes.

Thank You

Barbara of Virginia
    False
    Barbara, I already posted the oatmeal cookies awhile ago. I'll bump them up for you. I am getting ready to go to town so I'll try and post the chocolate chip ones when I get back. I get rave reviews on them when I take them anywhere. Hope you don't mind waiting. The oatmeal ones are Mrs. Fields Oatmeal raisin chews and just made them last night. The best I've ever had.

Debbie
    False