What kind of apples do you use for applesauce? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What kind of apples do you use for applesauce?

Last post Jan 22, 2004 1:11 PM by skh11 . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • What kind of apples do you use for applesauce?
    My DH loves homemade applesauce. There are a ton of varieties on sale right now. Last year I used McIntosh but they're too soft for my PC apple peeler. What other varieties would taste good?
    False
  • RE: What kind of apples do you use for applesauce?
    My DM swear by Jonathans. Or, if you can't get them, then Jon-a-Golds. Either one are good and make pretty pink colored applesauce. Good luck.
    JoLynn
    False
    Nothing but mcintosh...I find they are the best apples to cook with by far.
    False
    It's Cortland apples for applesauce for my family. Even the extended family prefers Cortland for sauce.
    False
    and we like granny smiths......as long as it is a good cooking apple, I think it is a matter of preference!!
    False
    We have a Yellow Delicious tree. Also a red one (Jon-a-Red?) but the apples are small this year. I have made it with just the yellow and with a combo of both kinds. The yellow delicious makes a beautiful light colored applesauce with good flavor. The mixture makes a pinker color. Both are good, but I prefer the yellow delicious because the apples are bigger!! :-)
    False
    You had the same problem with the McIntoshes? I thought I just got hold of a yucky bag, they were so mushy and soft even after I kept them in the fridge for a while. I had to peel them by hand, which I hated because I just love using my PC peeler.

I've been making apple butter this week and so far I've used the Mc's, Golden Delicious, and Gala. My favorite so far is the Golden Delicious. It keeps a nice sweet tart flavor after cooking.
    False
    Oh, and it peels like a dream!
    False
    I like gala apples best for sauce. MacIntosh if they're firm enough. I like to toss in a ripe pear for a little different flavor, too!!
    :)
    False
    I didn't know I'd have so many choices! Thanks for the input. I think I'll get several different kinds and try them out. I love this time of year when apples go on sale.
    False
    I use what ever type of apple that is in the house and needs used up. I do one thing different though. Use brown sugar instead of white. When I was working DH decided he was making some applesauce and thought he was supposed to use brown sugar. After that the kids always wanted "brown applesauce". It has a slight carmel taste and we really like it. I even can applesauce using the brown sugar. Carol
    False

Carol

This is my first time to make apple butter and I used Northern Spy. I haven't tasted it since I jarred it. Any opinions on this apple?
    False
    In the past I have used the late Rome, but this year I have Idared, which I was told would keep well, they are tart, very firm and excellent for my peeler. I have not made any applesauce out of them yet.
    Some apples are tart and some sweet, I prefer the golden if I am using a sweet and either the Rome of hopefully the ones I have purchased this year. Mutsi makes a good applesauce too.
    False
    jaxon...you must have used rotten mcintosh because I've been cooking with them for 30 yrs. and they always turn out for me, in any apple recipe that I cook.
    False
    I have always used Macintoch and they have always been wonderful! I buy mine from a local orchard though, so they are always fresh and crisp, not soft.
    False