Choc Chip Cookies Flatten out | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Choc Chip Cookies Flatten out

Last post Dec 24, 2004 6:01 PM by beckanoah . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Choc Chip Cookies Flatten out
    How do you keep chocolate chip cookies from flattening out? I like mine thick but they always seem to flatten out. Help!

Ruth
    False
  • RE: Choc Chip Cookies Flatten out
    Do not grease your pan, are you adding too much butter or extra large eggs? Also are your baking pans cold when you put the batter on them?
    False
    Too much butter can do this. I add half Crisco - and the rest butter for flavor. Also I add about 1/4 cup more flour to the recipe.
    False
    It might help to print your recipe out.

Too much baking powder or soda can flatten them as well.

False
    I just made some oatmeal cookies that spread all over the pan, but after reading this, I do confess that I did use all butter and I did spray the pan with pam. But the biggest problem I had was that the centers were still raw and the edges were brown. I had never used this recipe before and when I got finished making those cookies I balled up the recipe and threw it away too. Is that against the recipe law too?
    False
    Oh! I know that problem..which recipe do you use? The one of the back of the nestle bag? If so, that one didn't work for me...I have a great recipe from this BB where you use half butter, half shortening, and vanilla pudding mix...and they turn out great for me...

Here, let me post it for you..As soon as I switched to this new recipe, it was great! Perfect cookies! It worked wonders for me, hopefully it will help you too...

Jello Chocolate Chip Cookies:
    2 1/4c. flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 cup EACH butter,and vegetable shortening (regular shortening), slightly softened
    1/4 c. sugar
    3/4 c. light brown sugar
    4 tsp. vanilla
    1 pkg. 4 serving size jello brand pudding~vanilla flavored
    2 eggs
    1 pkg. 12oz. chocolate chips
    1 c. chopped nuts opt.
    Mix flour w/soda in small bowl and set aside. combine butter, sugars, vanilla and pudding in large bowl. beat till smooth and creamy beat in eggs, gradually add flour mixture then stir in chips. Batter will be stiff. Drop by tsp. about 2 in. apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375* for 8-10 min.

I know 4 tsp. of vanilla seems like a lot of vanilla but, thats what the recipe called for but, I just used 2 and they always turn out great. Like I said in a previous post I only use this chocolate chip cookie recipe since I found it, they always turn out soft and YUMMY!!! Good Luck
    False
    Yes, Aims62, I used the recipe on the back of the Nestle bag. I thought that was a "tried and true" recipe. I did not grease my pans. I use the airbake pans for cookies. I like them soft and chewy - but not flat. I used 1 stick of butter and 1 stick of margerine. I did use large eggs. So I guess I broke all of the cookie rules. Oh well, we live and learn. These are cookies for Santa, so he won't know the difference - he'll be in too big of a hurry! I've never heard of putting vanilla pudding in cookie dough - I can't wait to try it. I wonder if you can use the sugar free pudding mix. Do you know?

Thanks for all of the advice!

Ruth
    False
    I'm sure Santa will have a lot of gross tasting store bought cookies out there, so your flat homemade ones will be welcomed!!! :o)
    False
    Thanks for posting Aims.
    These cookies sound very interesting. I`ve never heard of using pudding mix in a cookie recipe before. But if you think about it, it makes sense.
    Thanks a bunch.
    False
    I add more flour;)
    False
    I think using margarine could be part of your problem...it has some water in it...try using butter flavored crisco and butter. I made some cookies with half butter, half Crisco and they came out nice and thick and chewy, just the way I like them.
    False
    Bump for the lady whose chips are too thick!
    False