OMG!!!!!! Alton Brown's steak in cast iron skillet REC and REV!!!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OMG!!!!!! Alton Brown's steak in cast iron skillet REC and REV!!!!

Last post Jan 01, 2005 8:05 PM by rqjanet . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • OMG!!!!!! Alton Brown's steak in cast iron skillet REC and REV!!!!
    I tried this this morning with a couple changes, but it was the BEST steak I'VE ever made, and I make alot! The difference with mine is that I just heated the skillet on top of stove, dipped steaks in mixture of bread crumbs, Parmesian, and Italian seasonings, then dip in melted butter, back into crumbs, then into skillet, cook on both sides for a few minutes, then into oven as directed. Enjoy! For more tips check out Smatterchu's review. Recipe below.
    False
  • RE: OMG!!!!!! Alton Brown's steak in cast iron skillet REC and REV!!!!
    Fantastic Pan Seared Steaks - from Good Eats
    Posted by: Smatterchu_____Orlando Posted on: 10/4/2001 6:47:19 PM
    #R25359
    PAN SEARED RIB EYE
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2-inch thick
    Canola oil to coat
    Kosher salt and ground black pepper
    Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.

Yield: 1 to 2 servings
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 5 minutes
    Difficulty: Easy
    False
    Here is her review!

Subject: Fantastic Pan Seared Steaks - from Good Eats
    Posted by: Smatterchu_____Orlando Replies: 16 Posted on: 10/4/2001 6:47:00 PM
    #T5613
    If you have never watched Good Eats with host Alton Brown (on FoodTV), you are missing a treat. After years of literally ruining every steak we purchased, I have finally figured out how to make a good steak. This recipe works for any type of steak, as far as I've tried.

Once we got the hang of it, we have added things like garlic, Worchestershire, Lawry's, etc. There are just a few points that should be followed exactly:

1. Cast Iron Skillet (make sure it's properly "seasoned")
    2. Kosher Salt -- gotta get kosher, the other stuff isn't as good for this
    3. Room Temperature Meat - otherwise it will cool off the skillet too much
    4. Canola Oil -- any other type will smoke WAY too much and too soon

****Oooh, and one thing I forgot to mention -- make sure you have plenty of ventilation for this recipe. We are in an apartment now, and we have to take one of the smoke detectors down while we make steaks. After we're through, we put it back up, but there's way too much smoke for this tiny vent to handle.*****

Enjoy. Let me know if you have any questions.
    False
    Copied! Thank you!
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    Thank you for posting your variations to this~ I love this recipe, one of my favorite's of Alton's!

:)
    Jolene
    False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Forgot to mention when I did it I added a couple of Tbsp.of canola oil to the hot pan before adding the steaks. Didn't want the bread crumbs mixture to stick.
    False
    Thanks!
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    Also, don't forget to scrape all the yummies from the breadcrumb mixture after it is done cooking back on top of steak. It is so crisp on top, and tender inside, I'm still dreaming of it!
    False
    Have read this recipe through and can't find any mention of bread crumbs...you said you added a little oil to prevent the bread crumbs from sticking. Has that ingredient been ommited from the directions?
    Elizabeth
    False
    bump
    False
    I think that was the change she made.....it is in the orginal subject, bread crumbs, parmesian and italian seasoning...sounds good. :)
    Wynne
    False
    regarding break crumbs go back to original post here by rqjanet.
    False
    Elizabeth, I improvised with this recipe, just mixed equal amounts bread crumbs with parmesian and added Italian seasonings, that's all!
    False
    Me again, actually, the ratio is probably 2/3 bread crumbs, to l/3 parmesian, just adjust to your own taste! Janet
    False