Another SOB: I dyed my hair, it turned out RED, now what, help! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Another SOB: I dyed my hair, it turned out RED, now what, help!

Last post Jan 02, 2005 9:41 PM by MTCathy . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Another SOB: I dyed my hair, it turned out RED, now what, help!
    The box said Natural Medium Chestnut Brown. I am naturally dirty, graying blonde, and I tried to tell the people voting for the color that it would be too red. (I had one of my co workers choose what colors, then we had customers and other employees vote, lol).
    So, I did it lastnight. And, it is putting Lucille Ball to shame.
    DD#1 loves it, DD#2 hates it and wants old mommy back. Dh is just mad at me because I am me, so he doesn't get a vote.
    I know at work tonight it is going to get polite "you look goods", but, I don't.
    So, since I always leap feet first, and didn't do a strand test, I am now stuck RED, any suggestions?
    One of the customers that voted for this said to use Tide if I was unhappy with the results. Have you ever heard of this?
    Ok, done venting.
    Letting DD#2 sit back on my lap now.
    Thanks,
    KLC
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
  • RE: Another SOB: I dyed my hair, it turned out RED, now what, help!
    I think the only thing you can do is see if a salon can fix it for you. But I would think that would cost too much money! It won't last forever, try different styles and accessorizing to compliment it. THere must be some advice sites online for this! My sister has this problem all the time. She dyes her hair regularly. I think she likes her results, but sometimes I see her and I am shocked! I personally love red hair, I bet it looks better than you think. Once you get over the shock of this new color. What number is it? There are different levels that lead up to permanent, did you use permanent? If not, the color will fade a little after a few washes, and then it will probably be perfect to your liking. Either way, a change in hair is only temporary, and you know what to do for next time ;-)

~Tina
    False
    ~Tina :-)
    Oh, no I never heard of trying Tide, but what do you have to lose?
    False
    ~Tina :-)
    Tide will strip your hair of all the natural oils but will strip the dye a lot so use a good conditioner. Prell is the srongest shampoo to strip dye color and won't harm your head. I would make an appointment with a good colorist and get the color back to what you wanted.
    False
    Could be worse, could have turned green or purple. (From a natural flaming redhead) I can emphasize.
    False
    with tide it might turn green - thats what someone told me - i hope we find a hairdresser on this board that will be able to help you!

twinkle
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    To strip hair color, use Selsan Blue or any "dandruff" shampoo. This has happened to me many times. lol...Time heals all wounds (hair). tee hee. Good luck and keep your sense of humor.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    What's wrong with red? I was born with it. LOL
    False
    An ASH shade will diminish the red but letting it grow out is the safest bet of all.
    False

If you can't have the best of everything, make the best of everything that you have!!!

Hi Kathy. Tiffany has done this before and just redyed her hair. It will damage if done too often. You might want to use one that is only temperary and it's not as hard. make sure you condition your hair good. Good old mayo (the expensive stuff) is a good conditioner. Rub it in your hair and leave it on for about a half hour before washing it out.

Debbie
    False
    SALOON~~~~~~~would be your best bet. For any "dye" strips the hair. And you will need professional help to salvage your hair. Anything else is only going to cause more harm. And the more harm you cause the chances are it could get a lot lot worse. On the hightlight your in style...no joke...there seem to be a lot of wild red hair lately at least in our neck of woods. I wonder why some do it. For it's no way natural. Good luck!
    False
    Thanks everybody,
    It's really not THAT bad, but, I just wasn't wanting it to be too red. My best friend just has such an aversion to red hair, but, oh well.
    I will probably get used to it. DD#1 loves it, and, I trust her judgement. Now that dh is actually speaking to me, he said "and, you wanted red hair?". NO, I wanted brown with a hint of red, but, that's not what happened.
    I told my mom it was burgundy, but not sure if that is the right discription, either. I will ask the hairstylist that I work with if she can add some highlights to lessen the effect somehow.
    Well, I guess I will get used to it.
    Thanks all!
    (It is actually just a shade darker than my mother's hair was before she went gray, so, it does run in the family).
    KLC
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
    I never tried this but I heard that washing your hair with dish detergent would tone down the color.

I naturally have a light medium brown hair but I used to dye it alot to make it thicker. I have thin, frizzy hair. So I used to use the same color dye to thicken it. But after years of that it started to get lighter (actually red) & once I could not find the right color & used a slightly darker color & then my hair looked black. I just kept washing it & washing it.

Actually, for you its probably just a shock right now & you will get used to it in a few days. Diane
    False

Diane

I have heard that Prell will tone the color down. Good Luck.:) Should you decide to go with a different shade, wait about 4 wks. and use a dark natural blonde or a light brown.
    False
    Kathy Lu,
    This has happened to me.
    You can recolor it. Just go darker-do just a light medium brown.
    You dont have to strip your hair.You strip your hair if its too dark because you cannot color your hair lighter without stripping it but if you just want to darken the red-you can do that by recoloring it with a diferent shade of brown.
    Then condition it REAL WELL
    i promise it will work
    Nadine
    False