Terrible Tasting Meatballs! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Terrible Tasting Meatballs!

Last post Jan 21, 2005 3:19 AM by connie1556 . 28 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 12
  • Terrible Tasting Meatballs!
    The recipe for the crockpot meatballs wasn't the problem but we just could not eat those meatballs! They were the Armour brand and tasted just awful! I threw the whole crockpot full of the meatballs and sauce away. Not a happy camper about wasting...don't know if it was a bad batch or if that's the way they're supposed to be. Neither my hubby or I could eat them.

Looks like it's back to making my own! LOL

Ginny
    False
  • RE: Terrible Tasting Meatballs!
    We cannot eat "ready prepared" meatballs either. It's not you! Trust me!

Yes, I am back to making them the old fashioned way too!
    False
    I'm with you, Ginny. My DH used to buy meatballs all the time before meeting me :) I don't even eat them anymore, but I cringe when he brings a frozen bag in the house!

Amy
    False

If you still have the package, call them and let them know their product was inedible. They'll probably refund your money. Plus they need to know when they do something wrong.
    False
    I agree with you! I couldn't eat them either! They were gross! I'd rather make my own anyway, then I know they will be good!!!! LOL

Dee
    False
    I HAVE BOUGHT THE FROZEN MEATBALLS AT SAM'S CLUB AND HAVE NEVER HAD A COMPLAINT WHEN I USED THEM. PERHAPS IT DEPENDS ON THE BRAND. OFCOURSE PREFER HOMEMADE BUT THESE ARE GREAT IN A HURRY.
    False
    Sorry did not mean to type in capital letters, I am new to the board but understand that means I was yelling, did not mean to do that. Sorry. Maureen
    False
    Oh no what a disappointment! I was at the grocery store today and was waiting for them to bring some meat out and so was standing there and got to looking at the meatballs you are talking about and was thinking how awful they looked! Sorry you had such a bad experience..so frustrating when something you cook doesn't work out.
    False
    I found out the ones I bought and couldn't eat were mostly "TVP" textured vegetable protein. There wasn't much meat, if any, in them. I use TVP from the health food store to extend my meat loaf but a little goes a long way. Those meatballs were totally inedible! I have learned to read the ingredients carefully. I haven't found a brand that I really like. So make my own. Mix up the beef and spices. Pat it out in a large pan and score it in squares. Bake at 350 until done. Then cut apart and put in sauce.
    Glenda Gale
    False
    My DH made spaghetti one night and took a shortcut and used Armour (I think) meatballs that he had found in the grocery store. You are right - they are awful. Like you, I pitched them. He bought 2 pkg of the lousy things! I just couldn't fathom those terrible things passing through my system again! I am surprised they didn't sabatoge our sewage system!

KY Kate
    False
    I too bought some at Sams after they were recommended here on the bb about 6 months or so ago but had to throw them away.I think it's a matter of "different strokes for different folks".I'll stick with the good old fashioned homemade from fresh ground beef ! Pat
    False
    Want to thank everyone for the replies...I guess I'm not the only one who has had a bad experience...like several of you said, I guess it's a matter of brand or preference. I just wanted to let you know my experience in case you had thought about trying this brand.

Kate...I had to laugh at your post about the sewage system!:) My definitely were not fit for human consumption! LOL But I thought maybe I just had a bad batch...looks like I won't even be trying them again. Will make my own and brown them myself and then put it in the crockpot...that way I know what I'm getting.

Thanks again, everyone...have a good evening:)
    False
    Hi Ginny!

I'm so sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. The only time I use 'purchased' meatballs is for the appetizer meatballs in crockpot...you know, the kind you use with grape jelly and chili sauce and my meatball soup. I used Armour brand once and only once many years ago. NEVER AGAIN. I agree 100%. That brand is awful.

I have tried many brands since for those 2 recipes. We don't care for the ones at Sams. The best ones I have found are the Rosita at Walmart.

Just so happens we had a meatball dinner tonight but those were made from scratch.
    False
    Hi Sue! Well I learned my lesson on this one. I've always made my own meatballs but thought I'd try these for a change I guess because it'd be so much easier! LOL Well sure was easy but a complete waste for me.

Sorry to hear you feel the same way about the Armour ones. Seems like it's the least favored brand around here:)

Have a good evening...Ginny:)
    False
    Just a suggestion that I'm sure many already have thought of, but, anyway, what I do is buy a big package of the great ground beef they sell at Costco & make the whole package into meatballs (I think I get 90 or so),using my usual recipe,then freeze them on cookie sheets. When they are completely frozen, I repackage them in ziploc bags, then foil or Tupperware (idea is to double bag them, but have them readily resealable). I then take out however-many I need for dinner when I need them. This will take you a little time initially, but save lots later when you want convenient meatballs that aren't nasty-store-bought! And you only have to make the mess once!
    False