What do you serve with your homemade chicken noodle soup? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you serve with your homemade chicken noodle soup?

Last post Jan 20, 2011 1:48 PM by jaycie91 . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • What do you serve with your homemade chicken noodle soup?
    I'm making chicken noodle soup today and was wondering what you serve with it. I usually serve a tossed green salad and french bread or biscuits.

This is how I make my chicken noodle soup. I rarely measure things, just to taste on the ingrediants.

4 chicken thighs (I take the skin off)I buy them at Walmart.
    3 or 4 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
    4 ribs of celery with the leaf included (cut the celery into large chunks, or leave whole)
    1 onion, cut into large chunks
    2 or 3 chicken boullion cubes
    garlic salt with parsley (Lawreys brand)
    celery salt
    fresh ground pepper (to taste)

I cover this with water, and let simmer with the lid on for three or four hours, then strain and save the celery and carrots if you want. Dice and add to broth. I then cook the noodles ( I usually use the No Yolks brand, broad or extra broad)I don't cook them in the chicken broth. Take the chicken off the bone and cut or tear into chunks. Add everything into pot and stir and then enjoy your pot of soup. MMMMMMMM. P.S. I sometimes add about a cup of frozen mixed vegatables. You can also make chicken and rice soup using rice instead of the noodles. Enjoy...

False
  • RE: What do you serve with your homemade chicken noodle soup?
    bump
    False
    I think what you usually serve sounds good. I usually serve some type of sandwich or serve it as a one dish meal with crackers on the side.
    False
    Ahhh, Good ole chicken soup. It cures whatever is ailing you. I usually have a toasted roll with mine or sometimes just saltines~Janie~
    False
    Toast from homemade bread or fresh muffins.
    False
    I just made some last week and served it with fresh beer bread (from Tastefully Simple) with butter and strawberry jam.

It was the first time I've ever made chicken noodle soup and I just dumped a bunch of stuff in that I had. I started with a can of chicken broth, cut up some frozen cooked chicken breasts (skin and bone free), put in some diced onion and celery that I fried in butter, added some water and some cut-up baby carrots, dropped in six chicken bouillon cubes, put in a drained can of mushrooms, put in one can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup and a little more water, seasoned it with salt and pepper, and finally put in some wide noodles. It was SO good. I don't know why I've never attempted it before - I'll surely make it again.
    False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast
    Chicken noodle soup is soooo good. If you want to "kick it up a knotch" then use Mrs. Reames frozen egg noodles. They are like homemade noodles. The do take longer to cook but are worth it.
    False
    uhhh...that is notch...typing to fast again and not checking..
    False
    Hi buttergirl!

I usually make a grilled cheese or grilled ham and swiss or grilled chicken salad or grilled ham salad sandwiches with my soups. And almost always have a some type of fruit dessert for later...

Dee
    False
    My kids love tea biscuits with homemade chicken soup. My daughter requests this above all other meals and then when she gets that she then makes the other requests. Marlene
    False
    bump
    False
    Garlic Cheese Bisquets and I would post the recipe if I could just find it! Grrrrrr Wynne
    False
    I make cheese biscuits with Asiago cheese and Italian seasoning. Here's the recipe:

gaudrey's Italian Cheese Biscuits

2 cups Bisquick or other biscuit mix
    1 cup Asiago cheese
    1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Classic Italiano seasoning
    1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
    Olive oil flavored cooking spray

Combine Bisquick and cheese. Stir in seasoning. Add cream and stir just until moistened. Add a little milk or water if too dry. Dough should be very stiff but still moist. Drop by ice cream scoop onto a greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Spray biscuits with olive oil spray and sprinkle with additional Italian seasoning. Bake at 400° until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
    NOTE: If desired, you may use buttermilk. It will take about 2/3 cup or enough to make a stiff dough that can be dropped.
    False
    hey, now those look good. Printing and putting in a spot where I cannot misplace it LOL
    False
    Posted by: gaudrey_GA Replies: 9 Posted on: 10/31/2003 6:32:26 PM
    #T253120
    These are so easy even a non-cook can make them.

Garlic/Cheese Biscuits

1 cup Bisquick
    1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    1/3 cup creamy Italian salad dressing

Place Bisquick in a mixing bowl. Toss cheese in the flour mixture until coated. Stir in salad dressing. If too stiff, add water, a teaspoon at a time, until the consistency of mashed potatoes. If you get them too soupy, add a little more Bisquick. Drop by tablespoons onto a sprayed baking sheet. Bake at 400° until golden brown, about 15 minutes. If you prefer to roll and cut the biscuits, leave the dough like very stiff mashed potatoes. Knead about 10 times, roll out 1/2 inch thick, and cut. Bake as directed above.
    False