*****Recipes: A Collection Of Amercian Indian Recipes***** | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

*****Recipes: A Collection Of Amercian Indian Recipes*****

Last post Mar 24, 2011 12:28 PM by DAR lady . 158 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 5 of 11 (159 items) < First34567Last >
  • RE: ISO: Amercian Indian Recipes
    Hi LisaFaye:

You are welcome. May I ask what American Indian Nation(s) ancestory you have?

False

"Disabled And Proud!" Both me and my only child are SSA Registered-Certified Disabled PWDs. I was born in the state of California, in the county of Santa Clara, in the city of San José. ***In every woman there is a Queen. Speak to the Queen and the Queen will answer. - Norwegian Proverb***

PRCA, I have mostly Cherokee-two great grandmothers and a great grandfather that were full blooded- but do have another of the western tribes in the line-Comanche or Black Foot, I think-but have been unable to remember which for sure as my Grandfather had told me when I was small but had told no one else in the family and now he is gone.
    The older I get, the more I find I am interested in connecting with those roots and learning about the culture.
    False
    Hi LisaFaye:

I have Cherokee blood on my paternal side of the family and Cherokee-Choctaw blood on my maternal side of the family.

1. Late maternal grandfather - Cherokee
    2. Late maternal grandmother - Cherokee-Choctaw
    3. Late paternal grandmother - Cherokee

I am not sure about my late paternal grandfather.

I completely understand about wanting to connect with your American Indian heritage and wanting to learn about the American Indian culture.

Some of the ways that I connect to my Cherokee-Choctaw heritage is by fixing American Indian recipes and by going to Indian pow-wows and dancing in some of the pow-wow dances (Gourd Dancing - Social Dancing - Round Dancing - Blanket Dancing - Honor Dancing - Intertibal Dancing - various other American Indian Dances including Stomp Dancing).

The older I get, the more that I am finding that there is more and more of a conflict between my American Indian heritage and my WASP heritage.

(WASP is "White Anglo-Saxton Protestant")
    False

"Disabled And Proud!" Both me and my only child are SSA Registered-Certified Disabled PWDs. I was born in the state of California, in the county of Santa Clara, in the city of San José. ***In every woman there is a Queen. Speak to the Queen and the Queen will answer. - Norwegian Proverb***

RE: American Indian Recipes
    Posted by: candykisses_Oklahoma Posted on: 1/20/2003
    1:40:20 PM
    #R1030698

Fry Bread

Serves: 12
    Effort: average
    Comments: This is one of Sam?s favorites

Ingredients:
    4-1/2 cup flour
    6 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoon salt
    3 cup buttermilk
    3 tablespoon oil

Instructions:
    Mix together dry ing. Add buttermilk & oil. Mix well. Knead dough on floured wax paper, kneading in more flour if dough is sticky. Let stand covered for 10 min. Heat 1" oil in fry pan or 350 in electric skillet. Pat out small amount of dough into 4 x 4" patties. Poke a whole in the middle of the fry bread with a toothpick. Fry until golden brown on both sides, turning with tongs. Use with Indian taco's or eat plain. Good with chalupa's.

I get enough fry bread for 12 Indian tacos & 2 or 3 breadsticks

Our son-in-law is 1/2 Kiowa, 1/2 Commanche. This is the recipe he uses all the time. To make the Indian Tacos. Just lay out your fry bread. Top with taco flavored meat and then your lettuce, tomatoe, shredded cheese, sour cream and salsa. YUM.

False

Posted by: Karolin
    Posted on: 1/20/2003
    2:00:23 PM
    #R1030782

Mohawk Milk Cake

Makes 1 - 9 inch Bundt pan

1 cup milk
    1/2 cup butter
    2 cups white sugar
    4 eggs
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 inch Bundt pan. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
    2. In a saucepan heat milk and butter until butter is melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
    3. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and eggs until light and lemon colored. Stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture and the milk. Mix thoroughly and pour into prepared 9 inch Bundt pan.
    4. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
    False

Posted by: Karolin
    2:10:25 PM
    #R1030831

Vegan Rice Pudding

Offered by Erik Bryce Reich

~ I am Mohican from my greatgrandmother, I live in Connecticut USA ~
    ...from a variation on my great-grandmothers (Mohican) recipe

Ingredients:

White or brown rice (as much as you can eat) Water, soy milk (enough to cover and soak rice and then 1 more cup) Vanilla or almond extract (to taste) Brown sugar or maple syrup or molasses (it's all preference, I like molasses)

Preparation:

Soak rice overnight. Cook soaked rice with extra cup of liquid on medium high heat until gluey. Add extract, sugar, stir often until dissolved. Add a friut if so desired, but cook down if so.

Note: This is good stuff warm or cold, and you can add all sorts of stuff to it too. Try raisins, mandarin orange, kiwifruit
    False

Posted by: bebeblues
    2:32:21 PM
    #R1030917

17th Century Indian Corn Bread

Boil three cups of water. Stir in 1 cup coarse cornmeal grits. Simmer until water is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Cool. When mixture is cool enough to handle, turn onto work surface floured with 1/2 cup fine cornmeal flour. Work into 2 flat cakes. Bake on floured cookie sheet at 400ºF for 3/4 of an hour.

This may not taste very good to some of us today.
    False

2:32:57 PM
    #R1030918

Indian Pudding

Preheat oven to 325ºF.

Butter a 2 quart casserole. In a heavy saucepan, heat to scalding:

4 cups milk

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

The butter may not melt completely, it is OK either way. Remove from the heat. Gradually add in this order stirring al the while:

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal

1/4 cup molasses

Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook, still stirring, for one minute longer, or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir together and then stir in:

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/2 teapoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Pour into the buttered casserole. Bake at 325ºF for one and a half hours. Remove from the oven after the first 30 minutes and stir well. Return to the oven to bake for the remaining time. Let stand for 45 to 60 minutes before serving. Serve slightly warm with cream or ice cream.

Serves: 6-8
    False

2:33:54 PM
    #R1030924

The Indians were also the inventors of candied corn, or popcorn balls. They shared it with the white settlers who came over from the "Old World."

Popcorn Balls

(Native American were the first make popcorn balls)

Ingredients:

6 cups popped corn
    2 cups shelled peanuts
    1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1-1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
    6 tablespoons water

Put the popped corn into a large bowl or pot. Add the peanuts. Mix well and set aside.

In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the sugar and water and continue cooking over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to moderate and boil the syrup, without stirring, until it reaches the soft-ball stage (about 238ºF on candy thermometer). Slowly pour the hot syrup over the popped corn and nuts, turning and mixing with a long handled wooden spoon to coat all the kernels and nuts. As soon as mixture is cool enough to handle, shape it lightly into balls with buttered hands. Let dry thoroughly on wax paper before wrapping them.
    False

Posted by: ceekay
    3:52:00 PM
    #R1031266

Omigosh...I LOVE fry bread!!! When you take it out from frying, you can put powdered sugar all over it, too.
    False

Posted by: nlf_PA
    7:40:14 PM
    #R1032257

Choctaw Carrot Bread
    Adapted from an early Chocotaw recipe.

1 1/2 c. flour
    1/4 c. corn meal
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1 1/2 c. grated carrots
    1 1/4 c. milk
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 c. honey
    2 T. butter, melted
    1/2 c. chopped nuts

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. In another large mixing bowl stir together grated carrots, milk, eggs, honey and melted butter. Gradually stir in dry ingredients until well mixed. Stir in chopped nuts. Pour batter into a 5 x 9" greased loaf pan. Bake in preheated 375° oven for 60 - 70 minutes or until bread testsdone or when knife inserted in center comes out clean.

False

RE: Ethnic Dishes - Weekly Post Group
    Posted by: turtlewalk_WA
    Posted on: 5/14/2002
    4:52:59 PM
    #R349435

I guess since I am just a mixed person from many backgrounds on the British Isles I do not have any real ethnic recipes but my DH's mother used to make a dish that she called Indian Dumplings. she says she got it from an old American Indian lady. Here it is. there are no real measurments because she cooked by guess and by golly it was good.

Indian Dumplings

wild blackberries, as many as you want or can get
    Sugar to taste depending on how sweet you like things
    water - just enough to keep them from sticking
    flour two cups or more depending on the size of your pot
    baking powder - 1t per 2 c flour
    melted butter - enough to make the flour crumbly like coarse meal
    a little milk - enough to make a stiff batter

Put the berries in a big kettle with the water and sugar to taste. Bring to a boil. Drop the batter in and cook 10 minutes without a lid then put a tight lid on and cook on med for another 10 min. Serve either warm or cold with cream or ice cream. (

My MIL would always save any left over for her breakfast the next morning)
    False

RE: Gotta ask... What are Indian Tacos?
    Posted by: Weeddigger
    Posted on: 10/19/2003
    12:29:22 PM
    #R2344581

I haven't made these yet but this is suppose to be an authentic recipe.
    Tam

Tewa Tacos (AKA- Indian Tacos)
    (FoodNetwork/Food Nation) 1/03
    Recipe courtesy Indian Pueblo Cultural Center Albuquerque

Tewa Taco:

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    6 round fry bread pieces, recipe follows
    1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, grated
    1 head lettuce, shredded
    3 tomatoes, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    Salsa, optional
    Green chile, optional

Brown the ground beef in a saute pan. Divide equally onto 6 fry bread rounds. Top with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. Great served with salsa and green chile!

Recipe for Fried Bread follows (cont'd)
    False

Posted by: Weeddigger
    12:31:03 PM
    #R2344587

Cont'd: Fry Bread

For the fry bread:

2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup dry milk solids
    2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons lard, cut into 1/2-inch bits, plus 1 pound lard, for deep frying

Combine the flour, dry milk solids, baking powder and salt, and sift them into a deep bowl. Add the lard bits and, with your fingertips, rub the flour and fat together until the mixture resembles flakes of coarse meal. Pour in the water and toss the ingredients together until the dough can be gathered into a ball. Drape the bowl with a kitchen towel and then let the dough sit at room temperature for about 2 hours. After sitting, tear the dough into 6 equal pieces. Then, on a lightly floured surface, roll each dough ball into a circle about 4 inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick. With a small knife, cut 2 (4 to 5-inch) long parallel slits completely through the dough, down the center of each rolled piece, spacing the slits about 1-inch apart. In a heavy, 10-inch cast iron skillet, melt the remaining pound of lard over moderate heat until it is very hot but not smoking. The melted fat should be about 1-inch deep, add more lard if necessary. Fry the rolled dough, 1 at a time, for about 2 minutes on each side, turning them once with tongs. The bread will puff slightly and become crisp and brown. Drain the Navajo fry bread on paper towels and serve warm.
    False

Posted by: lindachicken__Oklahoma
    12:37:13 PM
    #R2344600

In Cherokee country this is our "fry bread"....

4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 1/2 cups warm water
    4 cups shortening for frying

Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir in 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water. Knead until soft but not sticky. Shape dough into balls about

Inches in diameter. Flatten into patties 1/2 inch thick, and make a small hole in the center of each patty.

Fry one at a time in 1 inch of hot shortening, turning to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.

Now you fill them with your meat, beans, lettuce, tomatoes and cheese...

This is the recipe we use for your fund raisers.

~~LindaChicken
    False