How do u keep cake layers from crowning? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do u keep cake layers from crowning?

Last post Jan 21, 2005 10:05 AM by MissEllie . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • How do u keep cake layers from crowning?
    I ocassionally bake cakes, (I am a pie man myself) I wouldn't walk across the street for a cake, but I'd fight a pack of hungry hounds for a slice of pie. Anyway I have the problem of crowning in the middle when I bake the layers, I have greased it, floured it, and sprayed it and still have the problem. short of laying a brick on it when it gets near bout done I don't know what to do
    False
  • RE: How do u keep cake layers from crowning?
    Hi there, I bought some "strips" made by Wilton when I was taking a cake class. You soak them in water and pin them to the outside of the pan to level off the top. I honestly think most cakes do this so I don't know that you are doing anything wrong. You can also just slice a thin layer off the top to flatten it out. They also sell a leveler thing in the cake section of craft stores but I just use my knife. I didn't think the strips were worth the cost. Good luck!
    P.S. I am with you I prefer pie over cake anyday. K Ohio
    False
    Morning , I have read where it is from over mixing the cake mixture. Will be making a cake this weekend and hope that it does not crown by using this idea .. Have a good day Eileen
    False
    I learned at a Wilton cake decoration class that you need to keep the edges of the pan cool so the center can bake at the same rate as the edges.....I'm not sure I said that so you'll understand it.
    Take three paper towels, not torn apart. Fold them lengthwise into a strip as tall as your cake pan. You will have several thicknesses of toweling. You will have a long 'ribbon' and paper clip or staple them into a circle that will fit your pan snuggly. It works best to wet them (just good and damp) and this will keep the pan edges cool. It works!! I made some from denim (I sew) and you can buy them from Wilton....but they are pricey.
    False
    If you don't grease the sides of the pan, then the cake bakes evenly on top. If you think of it, the reason it doesn't climb up the sides of the pan and crowns on top, is that it is hard for the cake batter to adhere to the greased sides when rising.

SO, simply grease the bottom of the pan as usual, and just run a knife around the sides to loossen when baked.

This is an old cake decorators' trick, and no, I'm not an old cake decorator (LOL)!

Good luck!
    False
    You can take a piece of paper towel and lay it on the top of the cake when it comes out of the oven, and press gently to flatten. It works!
    False
    I have posted this before. I use strips of terry cloth cut form an old dish towel. Cut them twice as high as your pan and long enough to go around the pan, and lap over a bit. Wet and wring out the strips, fold in half lenghwise and put aound the outside of the pans, having the fold at the top of the pan, and fasten with a straight pin, or a bobby pin. Easier to do if you first prepare the inside of your pan, then turn it over to pin the strips on, especially if your pans have a bit of a slant to them. The strips are re-usable many many times. Thye won't burn, but will eventually turn dark on the bottom edges from the heat. Then just throw them away and make new ones.
    False
    Reducing the oven temperature will help a lot. When I bake wedding cakes I generally bake them at about 315 to 325 degrees. This will make the cake a very fine texture and will keep the edges from baking too fast. Also it helps to use shiny metal pans, not the dark ones, which absorb more heat and bake the edges quicker. Another thing, it helps not to overbeat the batter.
    False