How do you cook a blade roast? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you cook a blade roast?

Last post Jan 23, 2005 3:44 PM by Redraspberrygirl . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • How do you cook a blade roast?
    My Dad gave all 6 of us cuts of beef for Christmas. I received a blade roast and have never cooked one before. What do you do with one?
    False
  • RE: How do you cook a blade roast?
    LOL, I don`t know what a blade roast is but I would probably put it in the crockpot. I`m sure someone here has a good recipe though. :o)
    False
    I just found this,,,

blade roast = blade pot roast = blade chuck roast Notes: This makes a good pot roast, but it's too tough to cook using dry heat.

So it sounds like the crockpot might be the way to go.
    False
    And I found this recipe

Larded Blade with Prune and Pistachio Topping
    ingredients
    (3 1/2 lb) blade of beef
    (3 oz) pork fat, cut into strips
    1 tbsp cooking oil
    3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) butter
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp dried or 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp wine vinegar
    1 cup (8 fl oz) meat stock
    1 tbsp fruit chutney

for the topping
    10 pitted prunes, chopped
    (2 oz) pistachio nuts, chopped

method
    1. Spread meat with pork fat. Secure meat with string to retain its shape during cooking.

2. Brown meat in heated cooking oil and butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add seasoning.

3. Heat soy sauce, wine vinegar, meat stock and chutney and add to meat. Cover with lid, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.

4. Remove meat from saucepan.

5. To prepare the topping, mix the ingredients together. Mix approximately 3 tbsp of the liquid in which meat was cooked with the prune and nut mixture and press firmly onto top of meat.

6. Place meat on the rack of a roasting tin and cook under a pre-heated grill for approximately 2 minutes.

7. If desired, boil the remaining cooking liquid until reduced and slightly thickened and serve separately
    False
    You can also do the old favorite of wrapping it with heavy duty foil after you top the roast with one or two cans of cream of mushroom soup and a packet of dry onion soup mix. Lay in shallow pan and cook in the oven at 350 for one hour per pound. Beef should be very tender and great gravy too!
    False
    Thanks!
    False
    My sister called and her suggestions were either pot roast or Hungarian Goulash.
    False
    Top Blade Roast, Beef

A beef roast cut from above the shoulder blade in the chuck primal. This cut has good marbling and flavor, but can be tough if improperly cooked. Braising is the best method for cooking the top blade roast because the moist heat and lengthy cooking time help tenderize the meat. The top blade roast can also be used as an oven roast if it is of the best quality, which results in a fairly tender roast when not overcooked. Other popular names for the top blade roast (depending on the region where it is marketed) include the flatiron roast, top chuck roast, blade roast, chuck roast, first cut, lifter roast, and triangle roast.
    False
    The Blade chuck roast has a good flavor...
    I put it in a Reynold's oven cooking bag with some carrots cut in 2 inch pieces, a rib of celery, cut up...
    then I take a Lipton's onion soup packet, mix with a cup of water and pour over roast...bake at 325* for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs, depending on size of roast...they give you times for various roasts in the box...

Sometimes I also add some potatoes and mushrooms...you can adjust to your liking, can't hurt it...it makes a very good gravy, is tender, and nicely browned...tastes good with egg noodles...

I don't use extra salt, because the soup mix has enough...the nice thing is easy cleanup...

Don't forget to put a few slits in bag for venting...

Enjoy !!

crowfeather
    False
    False
    Thanks again.
    False