What is the difference between Marinara sauce & spaghetti sauce? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is the difference between Marinara sauce & spaghetti sauce?

Last post Jan 24, 2005 7:44 AM by queenietwo . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • What is the difference between Marinara sauce & spaghetti sauce?
    Is there a big difference? Just curious. Thank you! :)
    False

• RE: What is the difference between Marinara sauce & spaghetti sauce?
    The marinara is just tomatoes and no heavy spices, at least that is what I have always thought.
    False
    I think marinara sauce tastes more like a pizza sauce. When you get pizza at some pizzarias they`ll give you a little dish of marinara to dip your crust in.
    False
    Marinara sause isn't as thick as spaghetti sauce and has chunks of tomatoes in it. They seem to taste pretty much the same, but marinara is "runnier".
    False
    I read in a cookbook years ago that Marinara Sauce is sauce without meat - so I guess that means just a basic tomato sauce.

I use to think it meant that it had fish in it, because I think the word Marinara means something to do with the Sea. A lot of people probably think this as I noticed in a menu at an Italian Restaurant, that it mentioned when describing the different entrees that the Spaghetti with Marinara Sauce DID NOT have any fish or seafood in it.
    False
    I thought it meant meatless too. Only because my veg niece always orders that very specifically in restaurants.
    False

Diane

I never thought about it much before. I found this.

"Marinara Sauce

Definition: [mah-ree-NAHR-uh] A highly seasoned Italian tomato sauce made with onions, garlic and oregano. It's used with pasta and some meats.

--Copyright (c) 1995 by Barron's Educational Series, from The New Food Lover's Companion, Second Edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst"

So then I guess spaghetti sauce is any sauce served over pasta called spaghetti?
    False
    Marinara has a simpler, fresher taste to me. Not heavy or cooked to death. The tomatoes and herbs taste fresh from the garden.
    False
    I thought that Marinara sauce also had chopped up carrots and stuff in it whereas spaghetti sauce does not. Marlene
    False